Are the duas (supplications) said in ruku’ (bowing down) and sajdah (prostration) of prayer fard?
There are some scholars who think that saying the dua "Subhana Rabbiyal Azim and Subhana Rabbiyal Ala" in ruku’ and prostration of prayer is fard because, it is mentioned as a command in the Quran. If we accept it like that and for example, if we say "Subhana Rabbiyal Ala" in ruku’ by mistake or vice versa in prostration, does it become necessary to perform the prayer again as qada because of abandoning the fard?
Submitted by on Tue, 05/01/2021 - 14:35
Dear Brother / Sister,
The two dhikrs in the Qur'an mentioned in the question are not related to prayer. However, since the Prophet (pbuh) said, "Say the first dhikr in ruku and say the second one in prostration", Hanbalis say, "It is fard to do so" based on the rule that "a command imposes the decree of being fard" and they also say it is fard to say it once and it is sunnah to say it three times.
The other three sects have concluded that they are sunnah by saying “Not every command imposes the decree of fard; the decree is understood with other evidences and indications, at that point, the evidences and indications show that it is sunnah to say those duas.”
According to the sect of those who say sunnah, even if they are abandoned or their places are changed by mistake, the prayer does not need to be performed again; the prayer is valid.
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to recite the invocations of ruku and sajdah one time which we normally recite three times?
- Does sajda as-sahw (prostration of forgetfulness) become necessary if we change the places of the invocations that we recite in ruku and sajdah?
- What is the criterion for the length of the ruku and sajdah in prayers? How many times can invocations be recited at ruku (bowing down in prayer) and sajdah (prostration) at most?
- Does lifting the foot from the ground while in prostration invalidate prayer? Is it necessary to keep the big toe of the right foot on the ground during prostration only or throughout the prayer?
- Is it permissible to say “Subhana Rabbiyal a’la” (Glory to my Lord, the Most High) more than three times in sajdah (prostration) while praying?
- Can you give information about the meaning of the supplication (dua) and glorification (tasbih) in the prayer and the rewards given for them?
- How is Prayer (salah) performed? Will you please explain orderly with photographs?
- How is salat (prayer) performed? Can you determine it orderly with photos?
- What is the place of ruku (bowing down in prayer) in salah? What meaning does it have and are there any verses or hadiths about it?
- What is ta'dil al-arkan?