“A person whose food is ready and is healthy is as if all of the boons of the world have been given to him.” Will you explain this hadith?
It is stated in the hadith that if a person wakes up in the morning having his food and healthy, it is as if all of the boons of the world have been given to him. I think this necessitates a great responsibility of thanking. How can we fulfill this responsibility?
Submitted by on Wed, 26/12/2018 - 15:07
Dear Brother / Sister,
The hadith in question is as follows:
“Whoever among you wakes up physically healthy, feeling safe and secure within himself (his family), with food for the day, it is as if he acquired the whole world." (Tirmidhi, Zuhd, 21; Ibn Majah, Zuhd, 9)
The word "sirb" mentioned in the hadith means soul. According to another view, it means community. In that sense, it means his family and household.
In addition, certain herds of animals, especially a herd of camels, are also called sirb. Since camels are regarded among the most valuable possessions, the other valuable possession are also regarded as “sirb”.
According to the meanings above, security of life and property is meant by the word sirb in the hadith.
In that case, it is necessary to have the following in order to have worldly happiness and possessions:
1. Security of life and property:
It is basis of the material and spiritual peace for a person to be safe and secure with his family and beloved ones, not to be afraid of the plunder of his property, to be sure of and not to worry about the attacks of thieves, robbers and oppressors.
Security of life and property comes first. If security cannot be established in a community, anarchy will prevail and the concepts of right and justice will disappear. Bullies and oppressors will crush the weak. Human rights will be violated and a kind of life in captivity will occur. For this reason, the security of life and property is of utmost importance and it is imperative to ensure security for the establishment of the world order and peace of mind.
2. Health of the body:
Man has two important duties: one of them is to obtain sustenance for both himself and the people he has to take care of; the other is to worship Allah and to act in accordance with His orders in the community, family and individual life.
All of these duties and deeds depend on the health of the body. No task can be fulfilled with success and nothing can be achieved without health. Therefore, the importance of health is obvious.
3. Having one’s food ready for the day:
Accepting every day as one day from the life and having enough food and drink for livelihood that day means having no need for livelihood. There is a possibility to work and earn for tomorrow. Having reliance on Allah that one will have enough to eat in the days to come like the present day gives man peace of mind.
The people and communities that have the boons mentioned in the three items above are regarded to have gained the material interests of the world.
To sum up:
- Health of the body is a great boon.
- Living free of the evil and fear of enemy and in security is a great boon.
- Having daily sustenance is a great boon.
- A person who has those three boons and blessings is like a person who has been given the whole world. He should regard himself like this, be thankful for the blessings and try to attain the happiness of the hereafter.
Questions on Islam
- What are the hadiths of the Prophet about commerce and commercial ethics?
- Why is the protection of life so important?
- What should economic systems, principles and basic rules be like according to Islam?
- What are the basic conditions that the religion of Islam gives man?
- Why does test exist according to the Quran and Hadiths?
- How can we warn those who want to despise handicapped people to make fun of them and to offend them by using some phrases like a “manufacturing defect”?
- Will everybody be the same in Paradise? Will there be degrees of beauty?
- How do a believer and an unbeliever see the world?
- Is it possible to see signs related to the existence of Allah by looking at the universe?
- Why is Interest Forbidden?