Why do the troubles like earthquake, war, plague, etc usually happen to Muslims?
This world is a place of service and hardship, not a place of reward and comfort. The real duty of man is to know his Lord and to live according to the criteria He imposed. And this is done through worshipping.
Worshipping is divided into two:
1- Positive worshipping
2- Negative worshipping
The positive worshipping, as we know, includes salah-obligatory prayer performed five times a day-, fasting, etc. The negative worshipping, on the other hand, is the great good rewards that man gains when he accepts his weakness and poverty, and takes refuge in his Lord and shows patience when he faces diseases, calamities and natural catastrophes.
On the other hand, it is the prophets - primarily our Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) - and pious people, who are the beloved servants of Allah, that have encountered the hardest of the troubles. If troubles were evil, as it is supposed, then Allah would not inflict these troubles on His most beloved ones. As it is stated in the hadith:
“The ones who are subject to the troubles and hardships most are the most virtuous ones and best of the humanity.” (1)
The reason why Muslims face troubles and calamities more is that the punishment of the mistakes they have done in this world will be given here and not left to the Hereafter. As the big mistakes and murders are handled in big courts and small ones in small courts, the mistakes of the believers whose sins are few are cleansed in this world with various troubles and calamities, and not left to the Hereafter. However, the mistakes of the disbelievers are postponed to the eternal place of punishment, Hell, because the troubles and calamities of this world would not suffice.
(1) al-Munawi, Fayzu’l-Qadir, 1:519, no: 1056; al-Hakim, al-Mustadrak, 3:343; Bukhari, Marda: 3; Tirmidhi, Zuhd: 57; Ibn Majah, Fitan: 23; Darimi, Riqaq: 67; Musnad, 1:172, 174, 180, 185, 6:369.
- Why do the troubles like earthquake, war, plague, etc. usually happen to Muslims?
- Why do most misfortunes and calamities hit the Muslims in the world? What is the reason for this?
- It is said that troubles are the reflections of the punishment of God. Is this the case for all the troubles?
- It is said that good people always win, however, it seems that the good ones always lose. Bad people always win both materially and spiritually. What is the reason of this?
- It is said that disasters are atonements for sins. However, innocent and pious people may also suffer from disasters. How do you explain this?
- Can we transform troubles, misfortunes and illnesses into good things for us? How?
- What do you advise for involuntary resentment against Allah?
- What would you advise me to do in order to show patience in the face of illnesses and misfortunes?
- Third Warning: How should patience be used and where should it be spent? Three kinds of patience.
- How can the problem of evil be solved?