What is the decree over head-scarf? What kind of danger does going out without a headscarf take women to?
On this point, there are two verses in the Holy Qur’an. In these verses, Allah Almighty clearly announces:
“O (most illustrious) Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters, as well as the women (wives and daughters) of the believers, to draw over themselves some part of their outer garments (when outside their homes and when before men whom they are not forbidden to marry because of blood relation).” (Al-Ahzab Surah, 33:59) “And tell the believing women that they (also) should restrain their gaze (from looking at the men whom it is lawful for them to marry, and from others’ private parts), and guard their private parts, and that they should not display their charms except that which is revealed of itself; and let them draw their veils over their bosoms…” (An-Nur Surah, 24:31)
In the verses it is not clearly indicated how believing women should veil themselves, and what places of them could be seen. However, this hadith interprets the verses as follows: The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) told his sister-in-law, Asma: “O Asma! It is not permissible for a woman to show the parts of her body to strangers apart from her hands and face while she is having her monthly period.” (Abu Davud, Libas, 33)
That a Muslim woman at the age of puberty should cover her hair is both Allah’s (SWT) and the Prophet’s (SWT) order. That is, it is a universal obligation to cover the head in a way the face would be open and to cover the neck and breast. As to unveiling oneself, it means abandoning an obligation and therefore impermissible. She becomes sinful and is to be held responsible since she does not pay any heed to the command of Allah (SWT) and the Prophet (PBUH). This sinful person must repent and ask for her forgiveness from Allah (SWT) in order to get rid of her sin.
“They are also the ones who, when they have committed a shameful deed or wronged themselves (through any kind of sinful act), immediately remember God, and implore Him to forgive their sins – for who will forgive sins save God? – And do not persist knowingly in whatever (evil) they have committed. Such are the ones whose reward is forgiveness from their Lord and Gardens through which rivers flow, to abide therein. How excellent is the reward of those who always do good deeds!” (Al-i Imran Surah, 3:135-136
Therefore, in order for repentance to be accepted or for sin to be forgiven, one needs not to be insistent on this sin without any excuse.
Here is a hadith interpretation on this point:
“When a believer commits a sin, there appears a black spot in his heart. If he withdraws from that sin and ask Allah (STW) for his forgiveness, his heart will be cleansened from that black spot. If he insists on sin, the black spot becomes larger. It is in this sense that sin covers the heart which reads in the Qur’an.”(Ibn-i Mace, Zuhd, 29)
The saying “Within each sin is a path leading to unbelief.” expresses a significant reality. A person who keeps committing a sin becomes used to that sin in the course of time and finds himself in a way not to abandon that. This habit drags him along greater spiritual dangers. He starts to believe that this sin has no punishment in the Hereafter and there should not be Hell at all. (The Letters, Bediuzzaman p, 22)*
In order for this person not to come face to face with such a danger and not to be deceived by the Satan, he needs to pull himself together and abandon that sin, which will result in his repentance.
* Trans. Şükran Vahide, Sözler Publication, Istanbul.
Source: Mehmed Paksu “The Questions that The Modern Age Brings”
- What is the decree on the head-scarf in Islam? To what kind of danger does going out without a headscarf lead women?
- Is wearing a headscarf fard in Islam?
- Help required...!!!One of these moderist scholars have this opinion about how hijab is not fard..how do i prove my point?
- Special File Regarding Covering (Tasattur) and Headscarf
- Can a woman who does not wear a headscarf in daily life perform her prayers?
- If a woman wants to wear niqab (face veil) but her husband dislikes it, what should they do?
- Is wandering of a woman without a headscarf an obstacle for her worshipping?
- Is it OK that I don't wear the hijab yet?
- When our books of deeds are given to us on the Day of Judgment and when our sins are revealed, will everybody see them or will only we see them?
- Do wudu and prayer (salah) eliminate all sins? How should we understand the hadiths regarding the issue?