What are the reasons that make tayammum valid?
Tayammum is wajib for Muslims who are sane and have reached puberty just like wudu. Tayammum can be made due to two reasons:
1 – Lack of water actually.
2 – Lack of water virtually.
• What does lack of water actually mean?
It means not having any or enough water with or around somebody who will worship. Such a person has to look for water around in order to make tayammum.
* If the person who lacks water is in a city or a place like a city has to look for water because he is likely to find water if he looks for it in such a place.
* Having no water for wudu and ghusl, the existence of water in a very distant place that cannot be reached easily either on foot or by a vehicle, the existence of a danger on the way to the water, lack of security of life and property on the way to the water, lack of tools to draw water are examples of lack of water actually. The person is to decide himself; if he thinks that he has a legitimate and justifiable excuse, he can benefit from this convenience of the religion.
• What does lack of water virtually mean?
In the following cases, although water exists, it is regarded as if there is no water:
1 – If there is enough water for cleaning but if it is medically harmful to use it due to an excuse or illness, or cold weather or cold water, it becomes wajib to make tayammum.
2 – If the water that is available is to be used for a more urgent need like drinking or cooking other than cleaning, tayammum is made instead of wudu or ghusl.
3 – If a person cannot afford to buy water or if the price of water is much more expensive than its usual price, tayammum can be made. The person is to decide himself; if he thinks that he has a legitimate and justifiable excuse, he can benefit from this convenience of the religion.
- Some issues related to tayammum
- Things that break tayammum
- What conditions are necessary for the validity of tayammum?
- How can a person who cannot move his feet and stand on his feet make taharah and wudu, and perform prayers?
- Wiping (Masah)
- Does it prevent wudu to make a pause while making wudu? Does it harm wudu if a person wears his sock after washing his right foot and before washing his left foot?
- What are the Necessary Conditions for Wudu to Become Valid?
- What are the things that invalidate and break wudu?
- Tayammum: Cleaning with Soil