What are the fards of ghusl?
There are three fards of ghusl:
1 – To rinse the mouth with water,
2 – To sniff water into the nose and blow it out,
3 – To wash the whole body.
It is fard to wash the mouth, the nose and the whole body at least once. A person who washes them three times is regarded to have fulfilled the fard and gains the reward of fulfilling the sunnah.
* The dirt under the nail, the dirt of fleas and flies, paints like henna and ink that do not prevent water from touching the skin do not prevent ghusl.
* It is necessary to wash inside the earring holes if they are not closed. If the earrings are on the ear, it is enough to move them forward and backward.
* The inside of the navel has to be washed, too.
* It is not obligatory to wet the whole hair if it is long or in plaits. The woman does not have to unplait her hair. It is enough to wet the hair roots. If the hair rots are wetted, ghusl becomes valid even if the whole hair is not wetted.
The same thing is not valid for men. Men have to wash the whole hair even if it is very long or in plaits because hair is not regarded as ornament for men. Men do not have to lengthen their hair.
* Even if the beard is bushy, the water has to reach the skin. However, while making wudu, it is not necessary to wash the roots of the beard hairs if it is bushy; it is enough to wet the beard only.
* The same thing is valid for the eyebrow and mustache. It is necessary to wash the hairs together with the skin.
Malikis and Shafiis do not regard the inside of the mouth and the nose as the outer part of the body; they regard them as internal organs. Therefore, it is not fard but sunnah to wash them during wudu and ghusl.
Hanbalis regard the inside of the mouth and the nose as part of the face. It is fard for them to wash them both during wudu and ghusl.
- What is Wudu (Ablution)?
- Is it Necessary to say Basmala and Make Niyyah before Making Ghusl?
- How to make ghusl?
- What are the Sunnahs of Wudu?
- Do dental filling and plating prevent the validity of ghusl?
- Is it Necessary to Wash the inside of the Eyes, and the Skin under the Brows and Mustache?
- What is Taharah (Cleanliness)?
- Is it permissible to have one's eyebrows dyed?
- What are the sunnahs of ghusl?