Talha Bin Ubaydullah Embraces Islam
Hazrat Talha bin Ubaidullah followed Hazrat Uthman’s tracks by embracing Islam.
He went on a journey for the purpose of trade. While he was at the Busra fair, a priest who lived there shouted, “Is there anyone here who is from Mecca?”
Hazrat Talha answered, “Yes, I am a Meccan.” “Did Ahmad appear?” asked the Priest.
Hazrat Talha then asked, “Who is Ahmad?” The priest answered, “He is the son of Abdullah bin Abdulmuttalib. Mecca is the city from which he will emerge. He is the final Prophet and will arise from the Harem ash-Sharif. He will be obliged to migrate to a rocky and barren place that is a date grove.”
The priest’s words captured Talha’s attention and as soon as he arrived in Mecca, he asked the people if there was “any news?”
They replied, “Yes, Abdullah’s son, Muhammad-al-Amin (Muhammad the Trustworthy) claims that he is a prophet and Abu Kuhafa’s son, Abu Bakr, has become his follower!”
Upon hearing this, he immediately went to Abu Bakr and asked, “Have you subjected yourself to Muhammad?”
Hazrat Abu Bakr answered, “Yes. I have and you should go and subject yourself to him! He is inviting the people to the truth and reality.”
They quickly went to our Holy Prophet’s (PBUH) presence after Hazrat Talha explained what he had heard from the priest to Abu Bakr. When Hazrat Talha, who had instantly become a Muslim, explained what the priest had said, our Holy Prophet (PBUH) smiled. (1)
The polytheists could not stand the fact that a virtuous person like Hazrat Talha had become a Muslim. Nawfal bin Adwiya, one of the Quraysh’s fiercest wrestlers, tied him to a rope and tortured him.
Hazrat Talha, who had embraced Islam at a young age, was one of the ten companions that had been given the good tidings of Paradise. In respect to him, our Holy Prophet (PBUH) said, “One who wants to see a martyr should look at Talha.” (2)
He was an immensely generous and brave companion. His fingers were crippled due to holding the arrows that were shot at our Holy Prophet (PBUH) during the Battle of Uhud. He did not separate from our Master’s (PBUH) side despite having been afflicted with nearly 80 wounds in the same war. (3)
1. Ibn Sa'd, Tabaqat: 3/214-216; Ibn Hajar, Isaba: 2/220-221
2. Bukhari, 2/107; 4/211-212
3. Ibn Sa'd, Tabaqat: 3/219; Ibn Hajar, Isaba: 2/221
- How did Talha bin Ubaydullah become a Muslim?
- How did Khalid bin Said become a Muslim and what kind of tortures were inflicted upon him?
- Khalid Bin Said Becomes a Muslim
- How did Hz. Abu Bakr become a Muslim?
- Hazrat Abu Bakr is in the Rank of Muslims
- How did Bilal al-Habashi, who was a slave when he accepted Islam, become a Muslim and what kind of tortures were inflicted upon him?
- How did Hz. Uthman become a Muslim?
- After which incident did the Prophet (pbuh) give Hz. Abu Bakr the name "Siddiq"?
- Hazrat Uthman is in the Rank of Muslims
- Hazrat Bilal al-Habashi Undergoes Torture