Prophet Alyasa [Elisha] (Peace be upon him)
“And Ismail and Elisha and Jonah and Lut: and to all We gave favor above the nations” (al-Anam: 86)
“And commemorate Ismail, Elisha, and Dhul-Kifl: each of them was of the company of the Good” (Sad: 48)
THE PROPHETHOOD OF HZ. ALYASA (ELISHA)
Hz. Alyasa is mentioned in two places in the Quran. The relevant verses are as follows:
“And Ismail and Elisha and Jonah and Lut: and to all We gave favor above the nations.”1
“And commemorate Ismail, Elisha, and Dhul-Kifl: each of them was of the company of the Good”2
Hz. Alyasa, who was one of the members of those caravan of good people, became the successor of Hz. Ilyas to guide Children of Israel.3
Alyasa was born eight centuries before Hz. Isa (Christ).4 Hz. Alyasa was together with Hz. Ilyas for a while.5
According to what is written in Tajrid translation, Hz. Ilyas, who left the city he was living in due to the oppression of the king of Baalbek, travelled from village to village to teach the Torah secretly. According to a narration from Ibn Abbas, during his travels, Hz. Ilyas went to a village and stayed in the house of an old woman from Children of Israel. The woman's son, Alyasa was ill.
Alyasa, who got well thanks to the prayer of Hz. Ilyas, believed in Hz. Ilyas and learned the Torah from him. After the death of Hz. Ilyas, Hz. Alyasa was sent as a prophet to Children of Israel.6 He gave them advice and preached. He did his best to improve Children of Israel.
The efforts of Hz. Alyasa did not turn out to be successful. Children of Israel did not heed his advice and preaching. They transgressed the bounds gradually and started to fight one another for property, throne and administration. Allah Almighty sent Assyrians to attack this disobedient nation.7
1 al-Anam: 86
2 Sa’d, 48
3 Muhammed Hamdi Yazır, ibid, V/4103
4 Ö.N. Bilmen, ibid, II/917
5 Ö.N. Bilmen, ibid, II/917
6 Tajrid trnsl., IX/89; A.C. Paşa ibid, I/36
7 A.C.Paşa, ibid, I,36; Bilmen, ibid, II, 917
- Prophet Dhulkifl [Ezekiel] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Ilyas [Elijah] (Peace be upon him)
- Which prophets came between Prophet Musa (Moses) and Prophet Isa (Jesus); was Judaism the religion they conveyed?
- Prophet Yaqub [Jacob] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Sulayman [Solomon] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Khidr (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Musa [Moses] & Harun [Aaron] (Peace be upon them)
- What is the story of Hz. Yunus in the holy books like?
- Prophet Yusha [Joshua] (Peace be upon him)
- Prophet Zakariyya [Zacharias] & Yahya [John] (Peace be upon them)