Nineteenth Letter: It explains more than three hundred miracles, which are the evidence of the prophethood of Hz. Muhammad, in a pleasant and flowing style. In consists of nineteen signs.
The Nineteenth Letter
This treatise describes more than three hundred miracles. And as it describes the messengership of Muhammad (PBUH), itself a miracle, so is it itself a wonder in three or four respects, proceeding from the miracle of his messengership.
T h e F i r s t : Although it is more than a hundred pages in length and is based on traditions and narrations, it was written in an unusual fashion-in the mountains and countryside, completely from memory, and without referring to any book. It was completed, moreover, in a few days by working two to three hours every day, for a total of twelve hours.
T h e S e c o n d : Despite its length, this work did not cause tedium to its writer, nor does it lack pleasantness for its reader. In fact, it aroused such ardour and enthusiasm in even my apathetic scribes that in these hard and distressing times, as many as seventy copies were handwritten in this neighbourhood within a single year. Those aware of this property of the treatise concluded that this must be a wonder proceeding from the miracle of his messengership (Blessings and peace be upon him.)
T h e T h i r d : In the copies handwritten by nine different scribes who did not communicate with one another, including one very inexperienced and unaware of ‘coincidence’1-it was also before we were aware of the phenomenon- the words referring to the Noble Messenger ‘coincided’ to such a degree throughout the whole of the treatise, and in the fifth part for the words referring to the Qur’an, that any one who is fair to the slightest degree would not consider this to be the result of chance. In fact, whoever observed it definitely concluded that it was a mystery of the Unseen and a marvel proceeding from the miracle of Muhammad (Upon whom be blessings and peace).
The Principles explained at the beginning of this treatise have extreme importance. As for the prophetic Hadiths related, they are accepted as authentic by the authorities on Hadith, and they report the most established phenomena concerning the messengership of Muhammad. Now, to enumerate the merits of this treatise, another treatise of the same length would be needed; we therefore invite those who wish to read it, if only once.
S a i d N u r s i
1.'Coincidence' (tawâfuq) refers to the unintentional correspondence of letters or words in lines or patterns on one several pages.(Tr:)
A REMINDER: In this work, I have related many Hadiths, despite having no books to refer to. Should there be any errors in the wording of the Hadiths, I request that they either be corrected, or be considered as paraphrases of Hadith. For, according to the prevailing opinion, “To relate the meanings of Hadiths is permissible,” in which case the narrator puts the meaning of the Hadith into his own words. This being the case, Hadiths with possible errors of wording should be regarded as paraphrases.
* NOTE: The present translation of the Nineteenth Letter is based on a translation prepared by members of the Risale-i Nur Institute of America in 1976. (Tr.)
The Miracles of Muhammad (PBUH)
In His Name, be He glorified!
And there is nothing but it glorifies Him with praise.
In the Name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate.
He it is Who has sent His Messenger with guidance and the religion of truth to make it supreme over all religion: and sufficient is Allah as a Witness. * Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah... [to the end of the verse]2
[Since the Nineteenth and Thirty-First Words concerning the messengership of Muhammad (Upon whom be blessings and peace) prove it with decisive evidence, we assign the verification of that side of the subject to those Words. As a supplement to them we will merely show here, in Nineteen Signs, some of the flashes of that great truth.]
2. Qur’an, 48:28-9.
Please click on the following link to continue reading;
- The Work of a Divine Grace and Help
- First Point: It is related to unknown signs.
- Thirteenth Droplet: The absolute acceptance of the prayers of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) for an eternal happiness and Paradise.
- Conclusion to the Seventh Matter: The elimination of doubts about the unknown signs that come in the form of divine help.
- First Point: The levels of people in understanding the miraculousness of the Quran.
- Seventh Matter which is the Seventh Booklet: It explains an important secret about Risale-i Nur students, the seven divine aids, in the following verse: “Say: ‘In the bounty of Allah. And in His Mercy,- in that let them rejoice’:... (Yunus, 10:58.)
- The Thirty-Third Word: It explains that there is a window opening to Almighty Allah in everything with thirty-three examples.
- The Fourth Addendum to the Miracles of Muhammad (PBUH): The Sixteenth Degree, on the Messengership of Muhammad (PBUH), from the Supreme Sign.
- Eleventh Flash: The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), the trustworthy, as a witness for the existence and oneness of Allah.
- The First Addendum to the Miracles of Muhammad (PBUH): The Nineteenth Word is about the messengership of Muhammad (pbuh) and the miracle of the splitting of the moon.