It is claimed that there is no verse regarding tasattur (covering) in the Quran. How would you answer that claim?
During the Era of Jahiliyya, many people lacked good manners and decency. Ethics, chastity and honor were issues that were talked about but not practiced. Women used to be dressed immodestly like today and they used to boast by showing their private parts. The religion of Islam, which was sent as divine mercy, introduced some commands and principles in order to amend the people who had been in debauchery. One of these commands is about the covering of women by jilbabs:
"O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments (jilbabs) over their persons (when abroad)." (al-Ahzab: 59)
There are a few views about what jilbab is:
1- Jilbab is a long shirt or loose robe covering the whole body.
2- It is a loose dress worn over a robe.
3- It is a scarf that covers the head, neck and the shoulders.
4- It is a garment that covers the upper part of the body down to the belly.
Khalil, who is the teacher of Sibawayhi says, "One of those meanings is permissible." (as-Siraj al-Munir Vol. 3. p. 271) A Muslim woman has to cover all of her body except her hands and face. If a person believes in it but does not practice it, she becomes a sinner. However, if a person denies it, she is regarded to have exited the religion of Islam. It is heresy to resort to interpretations that Islam does not accept and to spoil the belief of people.
- Is it fard (obligatory) for women to cover their heads?
- What should the dressing style of a Muslim woman be like?
- What are the reasons (wisdoms) behind tasattur (covering)? Why is tasattur necessary?
- Are women neglected in the Islamic law?
- What are the rights of women in Islam? How do you answer the claims that Islam puts pressure and limitations on women?
- Fourth Point: It is related to the Day of Judgement and Gathering Place.
- What are the frequent questions related to sacrificing an animal and their answers?
- What should economic systems, principles and basic rules be like according to Islam?
- What is Sharia, how is Sharia lived, is Sharia valid in this century?
- What is the decree on the head-scarf in Islam? To what kind of danger does going out without a headscarf lead women?