Fifth Point: To which religion did the forefathers of Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) belong in the era of interregnum?
You ask, in that period between prophets, did the forefathers of the Allah’s Noble Messenger (Upon whom be blessings and peace) belong to a religion and were they religious?
T h e A n s w e r : There are narrations stating that they were religious in accordance with the vestiges of the religion of Abraham (Upon whom be peace), which, under the veils of heedlessness and spiritual darkness, continued in certain special people. Certainly, the individuals who formed a luminous chain coming from Abraham (Upon whom be peace) and concluding in the Most Noble Messsenger (Upon whom be blessings and peace) were not indifferent towards the light of the true religion and were not defeated by the darkness of unbelief. But in accordance with the verse,
Nor would We visit with Our wrath until We had sent a prophet [to give warning],1
the people who live in the time between prophets are among those saved.
It has been stated unanimously that they are not punished for their mistakes in secondary matters. According to Imam Shafi‘i and Imam Ash‘ari, even if they are deniers and do not believe in the fundamentals of faith, they still are among those saved. For responsibility before Allah occurs through the sending of prophets, and when prophets are sent, responsibility is established through knowledge of their mission. Since heedlessness and the passage of time had obscured the religions of the former prophets, they could not provide the proof for the people of that time. If they obeyed the former religion, they will receive reward; if they did not, they will not be punished. For since it was hidden, it could not be a proof.
1. Qur’an, 17:15.
- Your Fifth Question: How did the Prophet (pbuh) worship before his prophetic mission?
- What are the characteristics of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in Holy Books?
- What is the state of the non-Muslims who are not informed about the religion of Islam?
- Sixth Point: Were there any prophets among the forefathers Hz. Muhammad (pbuh)?
- What is the state of the people of fatrah (interregnum) who did not know about Islam? Will they go to Hell because they die without having any belief?
- The First Kind is the news given by the Torah, the Bible, the Psalms and other scriptures about Muhammad (pbuh).
- What is the view of Islam about the faith of those who lived before Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), i.e. those who lived in fatrat (interregnum)? Will they go to Hell because they passed away without faith?
- The Seventh Letter explains the wisdoms behind the polygamy of Hz. Muhammad (pbuh) and especially his marriage with Zaynab.
- Although some prophets were allowed to be killed when they announced the true religion, why was Jesus ascended to the sky? Even our prophet’s tooth was broken at a battle. What feature of Jesus caused this?
- Fifth Matter: Can a person who says “La ilaha illallah (There is no god but Allah)” but does not say “Muhammadun Rasulullah (Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)” find salvation?