Why the phrase the direction of Masjid al-Haram is used and not the Kaaba?
- Can you tell me why we turn our faces toward the Kaaba when we say Masjid al-Haram?
- It is stated in verse 144 of the second chapter of the Quran that we should turn our faces toward Masjid al-Haram; why do we turn our faces toward the Kaaba then?
Submitted by on Fri, 13/05/2022 - 11:11
Dear Brother / Sister,
The Kaaba is the heart of Masjid al-Haram. All those who pray in different directions of Masjid al-Haram have to turn toward the Kaaba itself.
Although the Kaaba is more valuable, the place where five daily prayers are performed is Masjid al-Haram.
Besides, the position of facing the qibla his understood differently from the related verses:
According to some scholars, it is sufficient to turn to “the direction of the Kaaba” but according to some other scholars, it is necessary to “turn toward the Kaaba” itself, not “direction of the Kaaba”.
The expressions in the verses are suitable for both of these interpretations.
Like other expressions of the Quran, the expressions on this issue have a “broad meaning”, not a “narrow meaning”.
The word Kaaba does not include Masjid al-Haram, but the name Masjid al-Haram includes the Kaaba.
That is, turning to the direction of Masjid al-Haram includes both the Kaaba and Masjid al-Haram.
Due to this wisdom, the phrase the direction of the Kaaba, not Masjid al-Haram, is used.
Thus, it will suffice for those who cannot see the Kaaba itself and who are far away to pray by facing Masjid al-Haram.
Questions on Islam
- Since the Kaaba is the first house built for worshipping, why did Masjid al-Aqsa become the qiblah in the first years of Islam?
- Qiblah is changed to Masjid Al-Haram
- Why is the covering of the Kaaba black? What chapters and verses are written on this covering?
- Is worshipping more acceptable in the Kaaba or Arafat?
- Does a mistake of forty-five degrees while turning to the qiblah invalidate a prayer? Are prayers that are performed in mosques whose directions are deviated from the qiblah valid?
- Why do we turn to the Ka’aba, that is, Masjid al-haram in prayers?
- Should we look at the Kaaba or at the place where we prostrate while performing a prayer in Masjid al-Haram?
- Why is Jerusalem (Quds) important for Jews and Christians?
- What are the frequent questions about hajj?
- Are people living and worshipping in holy places like Makkah and Madinah luckier and more advantageous than those living in other places?