What is the source of the hadith about the Prophet standing up upon seeing the bier of a Jew?
Submitted by on Mon, 12/11/2018 - 10:41
Dear Brother / Sister,
Jabir b. Abdullah narrates:
A bier passed by us and the Messenger of Allah stood up for it and we also stood up along with him. We said,
"O Messenger of Allah! That is the bier of a Jewess." Thereupon, he said,
"Verily, death is a matter of consternation, so whenever you come across a bier, stand up." (Muslim, Janaiz, 78, Hadith no: 1593)
In Qays b. Sa'd’s narration, Ibn Abu Layla narrates the following:
When Qays b. Sa'd and Sahl b. Hunayf were in Qadisiyya, a bier passed by them and they both stood up. They were told that it was the bier of one of the people of the land (non-Muslim). They said that a bier passed before the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) and he stood up. When he was told that it was a bier of a Jew, he said,
“Was he not a human being?” (Muslim, Janaiz, 78, Hadith no: 1596)
Questions on Islam
- What does Islam say about Visiting Graves? What are the appropriate manners for Visiting Graves in Islam?
- The Prophet was told the following in a dream: "The one whose head you saw being crushed is the one whom Allah taught the Quran but who slept at night and did not act in accordance with it during the day" What is meant by sleeping at night in this hadith?
- It is seen that the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) boasts in some hadiths. What is the wisdom behind it?
- Is it a sin to cry loudly after a relative who died at home or next to his grave? Does this give pains to the dead person?
- How should the phrase "Allah wondered and laughed" mentioned in the hadith be understood?
- Abu Bakr (r.a.)
- What are the benefits of visiting graves? Do the dead people see those who come to their graves?
- Is there a hadith stating that the world is on the ox and fish? If there is, how should we understand it?
- Will you explain how the loyalty of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) to the Quran and Islam was with examples from hadiths?
- Did the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) know about the future?