What is the reason of announcing the inner-adhan (call to prayer) inside the mosques on Friday?
Submitted by on Sat, 09/01/2010 - 01:57
Dear Brother / Sister,
The inner-adhan was called during the time of the Prophet (PBUH)). Outer-adhan was put into practice in the period of Caliph Uthman.
The Prophet (PBUH) greeted people when he entered the mosque, and when he ascended the pulpit, he greeted them again. It is called “the sitting of rest” Bilal started announcing the adhan , and when he was done, the Prophet (PBUH) recited a sermon including advice, after glorification of Allah. After sitting a while, he stood up and gave the second sermon and then descended from the pulpit. He led the congregation in the two-rakat Friday prayer after the iqamah was recited. He usually recited loudly, the surah al-Jumua (Friday) in the first rakat and the surah al-Munafiqun (Hypocrites) in the second rakat. The reason why he recited the surah al-Jumua in the first rakat was because the Friday prayer was the time when the number of the congregation is the highest and he wanted to teach them about the customs of the holy day Friday, and the reason why he recited the surah al-Munafiqun was because he wanted to warn them against the perils of the hypocrites. However, it is narrated that, in later times, he recited the surah al-A’la in the first rakat and surah al-Jathiya in the second rakat.
Although the prayer was performed in this manner during the Caliphate of Abu Bakr and Umar,during the Caliphate of Uthman, they needed an outer adhan because of the increasing population of the city. There were many people dwelling far from the mosque. It was announced in Zawra. After the Caliph Uthman, this practice was also adopted by the other cities and mosques. 80 years after Uthman, during the Caliphate of Hisham b. Abdulmalik, Hisham ordered the adhan to be announced from the minaret of the mosque, which is in the middle of the city.
Questions on Islam
- What is the importance of Friday and what are the deeds of worship to be performed on that day?
- How do I rectify this mistake in a prayer?
- SALAT (PRAYER)-II
- What are the causes of mischief and tribulations that were seen during the caliphate of Hz. Uthman? Some scholars say that he did not have the sufficient qualities for leadership.
- Is it obligatory to recite Surah Al-Fatiha in each rakat behind the Imam?
- What is adhan?
- When someone joins a congregational prayer in progress, what should he/she do and recite?
- How did Hz. Uthman become a Muslim?
- Surah in 3rd and 4th Rakat
- Is it haram to do shopping/business at the time of Friday prayer?