What is the dua (supplication) to be recited to get rid of sadness and debt?
Our Prophet (pbuh) asked a Companion who always sat in the mosque the reason for this behavior. When he said that he had troubles and debts, our Prophet (pbuh) taught him a dua. Can you write the original version of this prayer and give its English meaning?
Submitted by on Fri, 18/06/2021 - 11:02
Dear Brother / Sister,
The relevant narration is as follows:
Abu Said al-Khudri (r.a.) narrated: One day, when the Prophet (pbuh) entered the mosque, he met a person named Abu Umama (r.a.) from the Ansar (local inhabitants of Medina). Our Prophet asked him, "O Abu Umama, why do I see you sitting in the mosque outside of time of prayer too?"
He replied, "Because of a trouble and debt that does not set me free O Messenger of Allah."
Thereupon, the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) said: “Shall I teach you some words? If you read them, Allah will relieve you of trouble and pay off your debt."
He replied, "Yes, O Messenger of Allah, teach me those words."
Our Prophet (pbuh) said: “When the sun sets and the sun rises, read this dua”
اَللّٰهُمَّ إِنّ۪ي أَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْهَمِّ وَالْحَزَنِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْعَجْزِ وَالْكَسَلِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ الْجُبْنِ وَالْبُخْلِ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنْ غَلَبَةِ الدَّيْنِ وَقَهْرِ الرِّجَالِ
Allaahumma inni ‘a’udhu bika minal-hammi walhazani wa ‘a’udhu bika minal-’ajzi walkasali wa ‘a’udhu bika minal-jubni walbukhli wa ‘a’udhu bika min ghalabatid-dayni wa qahrir-rijal.
O Allah, I seek refuge in you from grief and sadness, from weakness and from laziness, from miserliness and from cowardice, from being overcome by debt and overpowered by men.
Abu Umama (r.a.) says: I read this prayer and Allah (c.c.) relieved me of my sorrow and allowed me to pay my debt. (Abu Dawud, Salah 367)
As understood from the hadith, Abu Umama (r.a.) went to the Masjid an-Nabawi under the pressure of his debts and troubles, and sought refuge in Allah. When our Prophet (pbuh) came to the mosque and saw Abu Umama there, although it was not time for prayer, he asked the reason for his attitude. When he learned about the situation, he recommended a dua to him and informed him that if he recited the dua which He taught him, Allah would relieve him of his grief and make it easier for him to pay his debts.
Questions on Islam
- What is the full form of the hadith ‘O Allah! I take refuge in You from incapacity, indolence, cowardice…’?
- One Supplication Every Week- 50th Week
- Is the statement ‘Praise be to Allah in all circumstances’ a hadith?
- Is a situation to take refuge necessary in order to take refuge in Allah?
- Abu Umama al-Bahili (r.a.)
- One Supplication Every Week- 51st Week
- We take refuge in Allah from the evil of the dead and the living (death and life) when we pray Allah. What is the meaning of “the evil of dead” here? Can the dead harm us?
- THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT JINN
- One Supplication Every Week- 52nd Week
- One Supplication Every Week- 6th Week