What is the decree about an oath in which a person swears by saying, " May Allah make me die as an unbeliever if I do or not do this or that"?
Submitted by on Fri, 14/01/2022 - 10:46
Dear Brother / Sister,
According to the Hanafi madhhab, such words form a sin beyond being an oath. However, they are also regarded as an oath.
Therefore, if a person swears an oath by saying, "I will be an unbeliever if I do this!", "I will be a Jew or a Christian!", "I will not be a servant of Allah and a member of the the ummah of the Prophet!" "May Allah make me die as an unbeliever!", the intention of that person is taken into account. If he uttered those statements just for the sake of an oath and to strengthen the claim of his faith, it would be an oath; he should pay atonement and also repent and ask for forgiveness.
However, if he uttered one of those statements with the belief that he would become an unbeliever, it would not be an oath. That person needs to renew his faith and his marriage - if he is married - with repentance and forgiveness. Besides, a Muslim who knows how the Prophet (pbuh) swore an oath avoids swearing such an inappropriate oath. (see al-Fiqhul-Islami, III/384; Celâl Yıldırım, İslam Fıkhı, III/157).
According to the other three madhhabs, those statements are not regarded as an oath and there is no atonement for them. On the contrary, uttering such statements is haram and sinful. God forbid, they have the risk of making a person exit the religion. Therefore, anyone who utters such statements must repent and ask for forgiveness. (al-Fiqhul-Islami, III/384, al-Majmu, XVIII/19-20)
Questions on Islam
- Is the statement "I swear by my mother and father" regarded an oath and does it necessitate kaffarah?
- What is an "Oath" and If you vow to do something and you don't, then how do you compensate for it?
- Can a person swear by putting his hand on the Qur'an? Is this oath valid?
- How is it possible for me not to anger Allah?
- How many rak'ahs does the awwabin prayer consist of? How is "the awwabin prayer" between the evening (maghrib) prayer and night (isha) prayer performed?
- Is it permissible for a Muslim to swear at, curse or damn another Muslim? How should a person react to those who swear at him?
- What was the attitude of the Prophet toward those who did not perform prayers?
- Can a person who does not perform prayers go to Paradise directly? If he has not performed any prayers, will he perform them in the hereafter?
- Is it makruh to keep the fingers apart and to turn them toward a direction other than the qiblah in sajdah (prostration)?
- Does a person who attributes space (place) to Allah become an unbeliever according to Abu Hanifa's book "Fiqhul-Akbar"?