What chapters are more virtuous to read for the spirit of a dead person?
We know that the chapters of Yasin, al-Ikhlas three times and al-Fatiha can be read for the spirits of the dead people. What are other chapters and verses that are advised to read?
Submitted by on Fri, 01/06/2018 - 16:12
Dear Brother / Sister,
The virtues of the some of the chapters and verses of the Quran are more than others. The hadiths about the virtues of the chapters and verses of the Quran are as follows:
1. The narrator: Abu Hurayra. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said,
"A chapter of the Qur'an containing thirty verses will intercede its reader till he will be forgiven. It is Tabarakalladhi bi-Yadihil-Mulk."
The following is stated in the narration in Abu Dawud: "The chapter will intercede the person who attains its friendship (by reading)." [Abu Dawud, Salah 327, (1400) (or Ramadan 10); Tirmidhi, Thawabul-Quran 9, (2893)]
2. The narrator: In another narrator from Ibn Abbas in Tirmidhi, Ibn Abbas says the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said,
"This chapter prevents (penalty in the grave or the sins that cause penalty in the grave); this chapter is a reason for salvation; it saves a person from penalty in the grave."
Razin adds the following: "Ibn Shihab said, "according to what Humayd Ibn Abdirrahman told me, the Messenger of Allah said, "The chapter of al-Mulk struggles on behalf of its friend (and saves him from torture) [Tirmidhi, Thawabul-Quran 9, (2892)]
3. The narrator: Ibn Mas'ud. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said,
"If a person reads the last two verses of the chapter of al-Baqara, those two verses will be enough for him." [Bukhari, Maghazi 12, Fadailul-Quran 10, 17, 37; Muslim, Musafirin 255, 256, (807-808); Abu Dawud, Salah 326, (1397); Ibn Majah, 183, (1369); Tirmidhi, Thawabul-Quran 4, (2884)]
4. The narrator: Abu Umama. I heard the Prophet (pbuh) say,
"Recite the Quran because on the Day of Resurrection, it will come as an intercessor for those who recite it. Recite Zahrawayn (the two bright ones), that is, al-Baqara and Aal-i Imran. For, on the Day of Resurrection, they will come as two clouds or two shades, or two flocks of birds in ranks, pleading for those who recite them. Recite the chapter of al-Baqara because to take recourse to it is a blessing and to give it up is a cause of grief; and the magicians cannot confront it." [Muslim, Musafirin, 252, (804)]
5. The narrator: Anas. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said,
"The chapter "Idha jaa nasrullahi wal-fath" is equal to one-fourth of the Quran." [Tirmidhi, Thawabul-Qur'an 10, (2897)]
6. The narrator: Ibn Abbas.
"While Jibril was sitting with the Prophet (pbuh), he heard a creaking sound above him. He lifted his head and said, ‘This is a gate opened in heaven today; it has never been opened before.” When an angel descended through it, Jibril said, “This is an angel who came down to the earth; he has never come down before.” The angel greeted and said to the Prophet (pbuh), ‘I give you the glad tiding about two lights given to you which have not been given to any prophet before you: One of them is the chapter of al-Fatiha and the other is the concluding verses of the chapter of al-Baqara. You will be given great thawab for each letter you read from them.'" [Muslim, Musafirin 254; Nasai, Iftitah 25]
7. The narrator: Abu Hurayra. The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said,
"If a person reads the chapter ad-Dukhan at night, he reaches the morning along with seventy thousand angels asking for forgiveness for him." [Tirmidhi, Thawabul-Qur'an 8, (2890)]
Questions on Islam
- How should the hadith "to want for his believing brother what one wants for himself" be understood?
- "The Companions did not start to learn new verses before they memorized ten verses and practiced them." Will you give information about the statement above? Will you explain the place of the Quran in the life of the Companions?
- "A person who repents is not regarded as insistent on his sin even if he acts contrarily to his repentance seventy times a day." What is meant by that hadith?
- Are the names of the four great angels (archangels) mentioned in the Quran and hadiths?
- How should one take refuge in Allah from Satan when he starts to read the Quran?
- Will you give information about the virtue of reciting surah al-Kahf on Friday?
- Are there hadiths stating that the sins of a person who says "Praise be to Allah who gave us food and drink" will be forgotten?
- Is it permissible to recite the quran with taghanni and as if singing?
- At least how many thawabs are given for reading every letter of the Quran?
- Is it sunnah to enter a place with the right foot and exit with the left foot, to start doing things from the right? Will you show the resources regarding the issue?