Is the statement 'Husayn is from me, and I am from Husayn' a hadith? If it is, how should it be understood?
Is the statement ‘Husayn is from me, and I am from Husayn’ a hadith? If it is, how should it be understood?
Submitted by on Fri, 09/02/2018 - 10:55
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is reported in a narration that the Prophet (pbuh) said, "Husayn is from me, and I am from Husayn. Allah loves whoever loves Husayn. Husayn is a sibt among the asbat." (see Tirmidhi, Manaqib, 31; Majmauz-Zawaid, 9/181). Tirmidhi states that this hadith is hasan.
The meaning of the hadith can be as follows: The Prophet knew that some people would wrong Hz. Husayn and martyr him unjustly; therefore, he wanted to show his real state as the head of Ahl al-Bayt against those who wanted to despise him in the eye of his ummah.
By saying “Husayn is from me, and I am from Husayn”, the Prophet (pbuh) stated that Hz. Husayn was a material piece from him and that he followed his spiritual way. “He is from me = He is on my way; he defends my way.“ "I am from him = I approve and adopt his lifestyle formed by the Quran and the Sunnah." He and I unite in the same line, the line of Islam. He is not separate from me; I am not separate from him.
The word “asbat” mentioned in the hadith is the plural form of the word "sibt". Sibt means the child of one’s child (grandchild). From this point of view, the hadith means "Husayn is among the children of my children." Thus, the state of Hz. Husayn as a part of him is strengthened.
In the Quran, the word sibt is used in the sense of tribe: “We divided them (Sons of Israel) into twelve tribes or nations." (al-A'raf, 7/160). Scholars interpret this hadith as a separate congregation will come from the progeny of Hz. Husayn. As a matter of fact, many people came from his progeny. Those people, who led the Islamic service all over the Islamic world, showed that they were different as the fruits of that luminous tree.
It is stated in an-Nihaya that the word sibt means ummah. In that case, the hadith informs us that there will be an ummah from the progeny of Hz Husayn that will do good deeds. (see an-Nihaya, s-b-t item)
Questions on Islam
- Will you give information about the Prophet's love of children?
- Husayn (r.a.)
- Prophet Yaqub [Jacob] (Peace be upon him)
- Will you give information about Hz. Husayn (r.a.)?
- What are the properties of Mahdi?
- Will you give detailed information about aqiqa sacrifice? Why are two animals sacrificed for a boy and one animal for a girl?
- "A person who slanders another person remains in Hell until he is forgiven by that person." Is there a hadith like that?
- Abu Humayd as-Saidi (r.a.)
- The importance of high ethics... The following is stated in a hadith: "The first thing to be placed on the Scale (Mizan) on the Day of Judgment is high ethics." What is the meaning of a deed being placed on the Scale first or later?
- The fact that the style of the Quran and hadiths is different from each other proves that the Quran is the word of Allah.