Is it permissible to lie down and sleep (when others perform prayers) in the mosque?
Submitted by on Sat, 02/04/2016 - 23:44
Dear Brother / Sister,
In the religion of Islam, the mosque has an important place. It is a place of dhikr, meditation and worshipping; it is also a holy place allocated for begging and praying to Allah. Therefore, it is not appropriate to eat and sleep in the mosque unless there is a necessity. However, it is permissible for strangers to sleep in the mosque.
Therefore, hajjis have a rest and sleep in Masjid al-Haram around the Kaaba and in Masjid an-Nabawi in Madinah today as they did in the past and nobody prevents them.
Some scholars say it is permissible to sleep in mosque for both strangers (guests) and the people living in that area. For instance, Ibn Hajar says,
"It is permissible to sleep in the mosque because Ahl as-Suffa stayed in the mosque all the time."(1)
Some of Salaf as-Salihin say it is makruh to sleep in the mosque for everybody. (2)
1. Mishkat al-Masabih, I/453.
2. al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, V/321.
(see Halil GÜNENÇ, Günümüz Meselelerine Fetvalar)
Questions on Islam
- Is there any objection to praying the sunnahs of the prayer at home and its fard at mosque? If some time passes between the fard and sunnah, will this be a hindrance for the prayer?
- Is it permissible to perform prayers on prayer rugs (sajjada) that have pictures of the Kaaba the Great, al-Masjid an-Nabawi (the Prophet's Mosque), al-Aqsa Mosque and other mosques?
- Is it permissible to recite surah al-Ikhlas between sunnah and fard of a salah (prayer) in the mosque?
- Can non-Muslims perform rituals in the mosque?
- Why did Allah tell Hz. Musa (Moses) to take off his shoes in the holy valley?
- Is it sin to sleep by lying face down? What are the manners of sleeping?
- help me understand islam
- Were any demonstrations of protest seen in the history of Islam? What is the place of protesting in Islam?
- Some people say, We are not going to mosque and performing namaz because Hazrath Ali (as) was killed as a martyr in a mosque. How acceptable is this in Islam?
- Is worshipping more acceptable in the Kaaba or Arafat?