Is it necessary for a person who has committed fornication to tell his/her spouse about it?
Does a person who is not a virgin have to tell his/her spouse about it? That is, if a man is not a virgin, does he have to tell his wife about it? They say it is haram if he does not tell her about it; is it true?
Submitted by on Thu, 19/04/2018 - 15:03
Dear Brother / Sister,
A person who has committed fornication does not have to tell his/her spouse about it. He/she should not tell her/him about it since it will cause mischief. His/her spouse will not be haram for him/her.
It is a sin for a person to share his/her sin with someone else – even if that person is his/her spouse. It is contrary to Allah’s wisdom and wish of secrecy to share a sin that He has allowed and wanted to remain a secret with someone else.
Besides, to share a sin like fornication with one’s spouse will cause her/him to live in discontent throughout his/her life. It will be a sin for a second time to share a sin with someone else – especially with one’s spouse in any case.
It is necessary to repent and ask Allah for forgiveness for a sin that is between Allah and a slave so that one will be happy in both the world and the hereafter.
Questions on Islam
- Is adultery/fornication a sin in Christianity and Judaism?
- Is it a sin to hide one’s previous relationships or important details from the person one will marry? Is it necessary to tell one’s future spouse about his/her previous marriages, sexual intercourses, other mistakes and with whom those mistakes were made?
- What does Rabita mean?
- Science states that friendship with a person from the opposite gender psychologically affects him/her positively. Why does the religion of Islam prohibit friendship with a person from the opposite gender?
- What is Backbiting? Is it allowable for some certain cases?
- Could you give information about people who do not fulfill the requirements of religion although they say they believe and they are Muslims?
- Engagement breakup
- What is Fornication (ZINA)?
- Could a person who drinks alcohol perform prayers?
- What are the duties of the spouses in the family?