How many years was Joseph (Yusuf) (pbuh) in jail? How many years had he stayed in jail when two people came to jail near him? How many years did he remain away from his father Jacob (Yaqub) (pbuh)?
Submitted by on Thu, 23/04/2015 - 12:07
Dear Brother / Sister,
To say something definite regarding these issues is difficult because there are different views in the sources. Nonetheless, we can answer your question as follows.
1. Joseph (pbuh) stayed in jail for seven years. Some scholars said that he was in prison for five or twelve years. (see, Razi, the interpretation of Yusuf, 36)
2. ‘‘Now with him there came into the prison two young men. Said one of them: "I see myself (in a dream) pressing wine." Said the other: "I see myself (in a dream) carrying bread on my head, and birds are eating thereof." "Tell us" (they said) "the truth and meaning thereof: for we see thou art one that doth good (to all).’’ (Yusuf 12/36 ) Acting upon the verse above, we can say that the dream of two young people took place in his first year in prison.
3. It is said that Jacob (pbuh) remained away from Joseph (pbuh) for twenty-two years. (see Ibn Ashur, the interpretation of Yusuf, 96) It is said that eighty, forty or thirty-six years passed between Joseph’s first dream and the actual interpretation of his dream. (see Mawardi, the interpretation of Yusuf, 12/96-98)
Questions on Islam
- Will you summarize the life of Hazrat Yusuf?
- Prophet Yusuf [Joseph] (Peace be upon him)
- Did the king who lived at the same age as the Prophet Joseph (Yusuf) was a prophet accept Yusuf’s prophethood or did he oppose Yusuf?
- Surah 12. Yusuf (Joseph)
- Does Allah inform anybody whom He wishes about ghayb (unknown/unseen)?
- Did Joseph (pbuh) set up a trap for his brothers?
- Is there anything like "dream interpretation" and how can one get the interpretation of his/her dream?
- In some verses, it is stated that "ghayb (the unseen, the unknown) cannot be known by anyone except Allah. How can it be explained under the light of these verses that some prophets and saints give news about the future?
- How serious does our religion take our dreams? How should we evaluate our dreams for the real life and the future? Is it all right to take action upon a dream?
- What is the real nature of the prostration before Hz. Yusuf mentioned in verse 100 of the chapter of Yusuf?