How did prayers reach today from the previous prophets? Did the other prophets and their ummahs perform prayers?
Submitted by on Fri, 15/02/2019 - 09:14
Dear Brother / Sister,
The times and forms of prayers of during the periods of other prophets might have been different. However, along with hadiths mentioning that prayer was a deed of worship that continued, there are some verses that mention ruku’ (bowing down) and sajdah (prostration). Some of those verses are as follows:
Hz. Ibrahim prayed as follows:
“O our Lord! I have made some of my offspring to dwell in a valley without cultivation, by Thy Sacred House; in order, O our Lord, that they may establish regular Prayer: so fill the hearts of some among men with love towards them, and feed them with fruits: so that they may give thanks.”
“O my Lord! Make me one who establishes regular Prayer, and also (raise such) among my offspring O our Lord! And accept Thou my Prayer.” (Ibrahim, 14/37 and 40).
The following is stated related to the prophets Ibrahim, Lut, Ishaq and Yaqub:
“And We made them leaders, guiding (men) by Our Command, and We sent them inspiration to do good deeds, to establish regular prayers, and to practise regular charity; and they constantly served Us (and Us only).” (al-Anbiya, 21/73)
“He (Ismail) used to enjoin on his people Prayer and Charity, and he was most acceptable in the sight of his Lord.” (Maryam, 19/55)
Hz. Luqman gives the following advice to his son:
“O my son! Establish regular prayer, enjoin what is just, and forbid what is wrong...” (Luqman, 31/17)
Some other verses regarding the issue are as follows:
“They said: ‘O Shu´aib! Does thy (religion of) prayer command thee that we leave off the worship which our fathers practised, or that we leave off doing what we like with our property? truly, thou art the one that forbeareth with faults and is right-minded.’” (Hud, 11/87)
“We inspired Moses and his brother with this Message: ‘Provide dwellings for your people in Egypt, make your dwellings into places of worship, and establish regular prayers: and give glad tidings to those who believe.’” (Yunus, 10/87)
“O Children of Israel!... be steadfast in prayer; practice regular charity; and bow down your heads with those who bow down (in worship).” (al-Baqara, 2/40-43)
“O Mary! worship Thy Lord devoutly: Prostrate thyself, and bow down (in prayer) with those who bow down."(Aal-i Imran, 3/43)
"He (Jesus) said: ‘I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live.’”(Maryam, 19/30-31)
The People of the Book were ordered to perform prayers:
“Nor did the People of the Book make schisms, until after there came to them Clear Evidence. And they have been commanded no more than this: To worship Allah, offering Him sincere devotion, being true (in faith); to establish regular prayer; and to practice regular charity; and that is the Religion Right and Straight." (al-Bayyina, 98/4-5)
For more information, please click on the link given below;
Questions on Islam
- How did prayer come today through prophets? Did the other prophets and their ummahs perform prayers?
- Could you please give information about “Salah” from the time of prophets up to now? Did other prophets and their Ummahs (community) perform salah?
- Was there daily prayer worship (salah) in other religions, too? Did other prophets and their ummahs (community) perform salah?
- The Prayers
- Some people say there is no form of worshipping in our religion and that salah (prayer) is used in the meaning of dua (supplication) in the Quran. Is it true?
- Surah 98. Al-Bayyina (The Clear Proof, Evidence)
- Can a child who does not perform prayers be beaten?
- Is there any evidence about performing prayers five times a day? Did the Prophet perform prayers three times a day?
- What does “I am from Abraham’s nation” mean? Can you give some information about Hanif religion?
- Will you explain the statement "make your dwellings into places of worship" mentioned in verse 87 of the chapter of Yunus? Did prayer and qiblah exist in the previous nations?