How are Muslims, Jews and Christians related?
Submitted by on Sat, 18/09/2010 - 23:45
Dear Brother / Sister,
1. The true religions have two fundamental principles. The principles of belief and deeds. The principles of belief are the same in all religions. However, there are differences in deeds and laws called Shariah. The differences are due to some wisdom because different clothes are used depending on the seasons like summer clothes and winter clothes. The medicines that are used in the treatment of diseases vary depending on the state of the patients and diseases.
Similarly, the humankind was divided into different layers during the time of the previous prophets; since they led a nomadic life, their temper was rude and their understanding was different, there were even different prophets that were sent down for the people living in the same periods. Those prophets made them wear clothes appropriate for the seasons and treated the diseases using appropriate methods. In other words, they educated the elementary and high school students based on their regions and levels.
However, the age when Islam was sent down is like the university period. People proceeded in the way of civilization; the means of communication increased; their levels approached each other; since they reached a level to listen to a single teacher, the divine wisdom equipped the Islamic Shariah with equipment that would be appropriate until the Day of Judgment. Islam became a teacher for the whole humankind by including the applicable aspects and universal beauties of the previous shariahs.
Some examples regarding the issue:
a. According to some scholars, the fasting period was fifty days in some previous nations. In Islam, it was decreased to thirty days. (Razi tafsir, V/63).
b. Hazrat Musa (Moses) was ordered to make his house the qiblah and pray there.
In Islam, the whole earth is regarded as a mosque. Muslims can prayer anywhere they want. (cf, ibid)
c. Some food items were haram (forbidden) for Jews but they were made halal (permissible) for Muslims. The following verses indicate it:
“Say: "I find not in the Message received by me by inspiration any (meat) forbidden to be eaten by one who wishes to eat it, unless it be dead meat, or blood poured forth, or the flesh of swine― for it is an abomination or what is impious, (meat) on which a name has been invoked, other than Allah's." But (even so) if a person is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience nor transgressing due limits― thy Lord is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.
For those who followed the Jewish Law, We forbade every (animal) with undivided hoof, and We forbade them the fat of the ox and the sheep, except what adheres to their backs or their entrails, or is mixed up with a bone: this in recompense for their willful disobedience: for We are True (in Our ordinances).”(al-Anam, 6/145-146).
2. Every person has to follow the true religion in his age.
3. After the emergence of Islam, those who know about Islam have to accept Islam no matter which religion they follow and they have to live in accordance with Islam.
4. Please click on the link given below;
What is the view of Islam about the faith of those who lived before Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him), i.e. those who lived in fatrat (interregnum)? Will they go to Hell because they passed away without faith?
Questions on Islam
- Why has pork been rendered haram in the religion of Islam?
- How were diseases cured during the era of the Prophet and the companions? Will you give information about preventive medicine?
- 6. Surah Al-Anaam (141- 165)
- Why pork is not allowed to be consumed in Islam?
- Is it permissible to eat food that includes harmful substances?
- If Allah had willed he would have sent only one divine religion; why did he allow the formation of three different religions?
- If Allah had willed, he would have sent only one divine religion; why did he allow the formation of three different religions?
- Is it permissible to eat the meat of a lamb that drunk dog’s milk? What things should we pay attention to related to animal feeds?
- The Conquest of Khaybar
- Is the origin of all religions (Judaism, Christianity and Islam) Hz. Ibrahim's Hanif religion?