Is God an egoist?
Submitted by on Mon, 02/09/2013 - 14:17
Dear Brother / Sister,
- “Egoist” means a person who thinks of himself only, who always gives importance to his own interests and who always wants to be on the foreground.
However, the fact that Allah prepared so many bounties for humans and that He made the earth a dinner table equipped with thousands of bounties shows how much importance He gives to His slaves, creatures and His art and it indicates His endless mercy.
- Allah defines himself as Samad (al-Ikhlas, 2). Samad means a being whom everybody is need of and who is not in need of anybody. It is unjust and cruel to call Allah, whom everybody is in need of, who is not in need of anybody and who certainly meets the needs of all creatures who are in need, an egoist.
We advise them to read, without prejudice, the following verse, which is one of the hundreds of verses regarding the issue:
“Behold! In the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the Night and the Day; in the sailing of the ships through the Ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;― (here) indeed are signs for a people that are wise.” (al-Baqara, 2/164)
- Only the existence of the people who call Allah an egoist - God forbid - is the clearest indicator showing how suitable it is that the Quran emphasizes the power of Allah repeatedly.
- Allah is not affected by the praise or criticism of anybody. However, He warns people several times and attracts attention to the manifestations of His names because, with His endless mercy, He wants His slaves to have good manners and act in accordance with the criteria He has imposed so that they will go to Paradise.
For instance, with the summary of the verses regarding the issue, He says, "Behold! Endless knowledge and power is necessary to create this universe. Since the universe exists, Allah, who has endless knowledge and power, also exists. If you think that this universe came into being as a result of coincidences, you will have insulted your mind and fallen into blindness which does not see Allah's endless knowledge and power.
For, you know and see very well that even one letter cannot come into being without a writer, that even one pin cannot come into being without a master and that a village cannot be without a headman (administrator). Since the issue is so clear, how can you think that man, who is a wonderful being who is made up of one trillion cells, can come into being without a master?
How can you deem it possible that the wonderful works of art seen all over the universe can be without a maker?
How can you attribute the fact that the solar system, with its sun, moon, earth, atmosphere, etc, has performed hundreds of wise and purposeful deeds with the extraordinary love and performance of duty without having any traffic accidents to coincidences?"
- Since Allah has endless knowledge and power as the scientific facts we have mentioned above and this universe witness, you must never doubt that the same power will raise you from the dead and account you. In that case, you will be punished severely due to this ignorance of yours.
- If a person does not think about the warnings repeated by Allah regarding the issue and His endless mercy and then labels it as "egoism", he will definitely be accounted for it.
- It is interesting that they object to the repetitions in the Quran but nobody objects to the repetitions done by the same endless mercy ontologically in the universe. For instance, nobody objects and says,
“Why does the sun rise every day?
Why are we granted various bounties every day?
Why are our lungs attached to the oxygen tube of the atmosphere and why are we enabled to breathe repeatedly every second?
Why are we made drink water and eat a few times every day?
Why are we made sleep every night and then we are revived every morning again?“
For , they know that they are the favors of Allah, who has endless power, wisdom and mercy, to His slaves and that it is impossible to live without them; therefore, they do not object.
- The repetitions that take place in the Quran are actually not repetitions; they aim to add new dimensions to the relevant topic, give deeper clues to the people of knowledge and warn those who are heedless.
- If a doctor examines a patient repeatedly, demands analyses repeatedly and advises the patient to take some pills repeatedly every day, this patient will be glad about it if he is sane.
- If the parents of a child advise their children to keep away from bad deeds every day as a necessity of their undeniable compassion, can you call those parents "egoists"?
Can a teacher who tells his students to study hard every day be labeled as an "egoist"?
Can it be used as evidence that a commander is an "egoist" if he makes his soldiers drill every day?
- We take nutrients repeatedly every day for our material body; how can we deem spiritual nutrients that are more important than material nutrients for our spiritual, mental and conscientious body, that is, the advice of the Quran consisting of Allah's compassionate orders and prohibitions, as extra and unnecessary?
- In conclusion, we say the following: We need to believe in Allah, the Messenger of Allah and the Quran first in order to block these delusions of Satan, who repeatedly harms our hearts every day.
Questions on Islam
- What is the reason why some anecdotes, verses, and sentences are often repeated in Quran?
- A Flower of Emirdağ: The answer given to the objections for the repetitions in the Qur’an.
- Prayer, the summary of all kinds of worship
- Why did Allah (SWT) wait for four and half billion years to start human history? What is the rate of the possibility of the solar system to form new system coincidentally?
- About the Prophethood of Muhammad (PBUH)
- Will you explain the issue of Allah’s creating the beings in the form of ibda and insha?
- Can you prove the existence of Allah through logical proofs?
- 2. Prayer
- Is it not a contradiction that Allah created the sins and human beings so that they would repent and that He blamed those who committed sins and threatened them with Hell?
- The First Addendum to the Miracles of Muhammad (PBUH): The Nineteenth Word is about the messengership of Muhammad (pbuh) and the miracle of the splitting of the moon.