Does a person who dies by saying la ilaha illallah in his last breath die as a Muslim?
Does a person who disobeys Allah throughout his life and lives in unbelief die as a Muslim if he dies by saying la ilaha illallah in his last breath and repents? What are the evidences about it?
Submitted by on Wed, 27/02/2019 - 09:25
Dear Brother / Sister,
- Yes, a person who says la ilaha illallah muhammadun rasulullah in his last breath and dies enters grave with belief according to Shari’ah in terms of outward appearance.
What you mean by “living in unbelief” may be real unbelief or in sins; a person who utters kalima ash-shahada in his last breath and dies is regarded as a Muslim in either case; his janazah prayer is performed and he is buried in the Muslim cemetery.
The phrase “and if he repents” is a bit ambiguous. For, repentance in the last breath is not accepted. However, even if he does not repent, he is regarded as a believer after he utters kalima ash-shahada.
To enter grave with belief saves a person from living in Hell forever. However, it does not mean he will not be punished. For, if Allah wishes, He will punish such a person in accordance with his sins and puts him in Paradise after that. Or, He puts him directly in Paradise by forgiving him and without punishing him if He wishes.
“Allah forgiveth not that partners should be set up with Him; but He forgiveth anything else, to whom He pleaseth...” (an-Nisa 4/48)
This fact is underlined in the verse above.
According to a narration, the Prophet (pbuh) said,
“If a person believes sincerely that there is no god but Allah and dies with that belief, he will enter Paradise.”
(Bukhari, h. no: 5827; Muslim, h. no:43/ see also h. no:12; Ibn Hajar, Fathul-Bari, 3/109, 7/149)
Questions on Islam
- What is the importance of belief for man?
- Might a Muslim who does not perform prayers die as an unbeliever?
- How can we strengthen our faith? Could you give information about the increase and decrease of faith, investigative faith and imitative faith and the importance of faith?
- How can we Strengthen our Belief? Will you give information about the Increase and Decrease of Belief, Tahqiq (Investigative) and Taqlid (Imitative) Belief and the Importance of Belief?
- Who is an Unbeliever? What are the Causes that Lead one to Unbelief?
- What is the meaning of the phrase I witness?
- What is the Importance of Belief for Man?
- Does a person who believes have to utter kalima ash-shahada (say it in Arabic)?
- Will you explain the hadith that mentions the repentance of a man who killed ninety-nine people?
- Abu Hurayra (r.a.)