Does Allah let Satan (the devil) pervert human beings? Can you explain it? If Satan approaches us with the permission of Allah, why does Allah let Satan do it?
Submitted by on Sun, 07/02/2010 - 07:50
Dear Brother / Sister,
Satan was given the permission to commit sins just as man was. If they had not been given that permission, then, there would not have been any testing.
Satan was dismissed from the presence of Allah and damned when he did not prostrate to Adam. Then, Satan asked the following from Allah:
"O my Lord! Give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are raised."
(Allah) said: "Respite is granted thee― Till the Day of the Time Appointed."
(Iblis) said: "O my Lord! because Thou hast put me in the wrong, I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them on the earth, and I will put them all in the wrong― Except Thy servants among them, sincere and purified (by thy grace)." (al-Hijr, 36-40)
We want to attract your attention to some issues about the desire of Satan:
- The reason why Satan was given that permission and respite is due to testing. If Satan had not pestered people, the rank of the people would have been stable like those of the angels; they would not have been able to develop. However, man, who is tested through Satan can fall down to the lowest levels and rise to the highest levels.
- Satan only tries to delude human beings, he tries to persuade them into committing sins; he cannot force them to do anything. If he had had a power like that, man would not have been responsible for what he had done.
- Satan presents evil like something good just like the poison being served in golden bowls or inside honey. For instance, he says to a young man, “You are too young to fulfill the commands of the religion. Live every moment of your life. Travel and play!”
He says to the person who tries to get up for the morning prayer: “It is too cold now. You are a bit ill. You can perform the prayer later.”
He says to the people who work for Allah: “Are you going to save the nation? Although you have so many troubles yourselves, you are trying to solve the problems of the nation; take it easy…”
-Although Iblis is so deceitful and tricky, it cannot do anything to the mukhlas (purified or having been given sincerity) slaves of Allah. He cannot make them go astray. He will even cause them to elevate their ranks.
Questions on Islam
- What is the purpose or benefit of Satan in wanting to deviate man until the day of judgement?
- Did Satan know that humans would die and be resurrected, that is, did he know the future?
- Prophet Adam (Peace be upon him)
- Taking into consideration the explanation of the Surah Al-Hijr 39, how could Iblis (the devil) mention the earth and doomsday before Allah expelled them from Paradise and sent them to the earth?
- Was Satan (Iblis) from the jinn, if so why was he among the angels?
- THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT JINN
- What are the traps (tricks) of Satan?
- Is one of the things that Satan likes most to cause spouses to separate?
- What does Hz. Adam and Hz. Hawwa's getting down to the world with enmity mean? Who are the enemies mentioned in the phrase: "get down with enmity between yourselves"?
- Why does Allah not eliminate Satan?