Do both the meaning and the words of the Bible (Gospel) and the Torah, like the Quran, belong to Allah?
- Is the Quran the only holy book that has the attribute of belonging to Allah, both in terms of meaning and words; Or is it the same for the other holy books?
- The following is stated in some places, “The verse (poetry) of the books before the Quran is like the word of man.” What is the truth regarding the issue?
Submitted by on Thu, 25/05/2023 - 16:33
Dear Brother / Sister,
- The opinion in the Islamic world regarding the issue is as follows: The old holy books, like the Quran, were revealed with both their words and their meanings.
- As it is stated in the Quran, the fact that what was revealed to the Prophet Musa (Moses) was in tablets indicates that they were revealed in written tablets. It cannot be without words.
“It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong).” (Aal-i Imran, 3/3)
The verse above is a clear indication that the Torah and the Gospel, like the Quran, were sent down - in words and in meaning - by Allah.
However, it is also known that the words of the holy books other than the Quran are not miracles like the Quran and they were not under special divine protection.
“It was We who revealed the law (to Moses): therein was guidance and light. By its standard have been judged the Jews, by the prophets who bowed (as in Islam) to Allah’s will, by the rabbis and the doctors of law: for to them was entrusted the protection of Allah’s book, and they were witnesses thereto...” (al-Maida, 5/44)
It is stated in the verse above that the preservation of those books was left to people, and it is pointed out that they were open to destruction and distortion - because they were not the final revelation.
However, it is stated that the Quran is protected by Allah Himself.
“We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).” (al-Hijr, 15/9)
That fact is emphasized in the verse above.
- At present, we do not have original copies of either the Torah or the Bible. Although there is a lot of revealed truth in those two books that are now available, there are also contradictions and unreasonable points showing that a lot of distortion has been done.
- The fact that those two books that we have now were written much later is also accepted by the scholars of the People of the Book. In particular, the state of the Gospel is much more critical. The current number of four Gospels selected from among dozens of Gospels three hundred-odd years after Jesus, as well as the existence of other unaccepted Gospels, show significant hesitations regarding the issue. The authors of the four existing Gospels are known.
The Bible, which includes the Torah and the Gospel, consists of information about the history written by people.
Questions on Islam
- Were the Gospel, Psalms and Torah, like the Quran, transformed into books later and reproduced?
- Will you answer the claims related to the Quran, the Gospel and Islamic contradictions?
- Where and how was the Bible revealed to the prophet Jesus (PBUH)?
- Were the books that were sent before the Quran (the Torah, the Psalms and the Gospel) distorted and changed?
- What is the difference between the Quran and the Torah?
- Was the Gospel written when Hz. Isa was alive? Did a book called the Gospel exist? If yes, what happened to it? Why is no record of such a book seen in any historical document?
- Could you name all the books sent by Allah SWT?
- Why did Allah send the Quran as the last book?
- How can one obey the Torah, the Gospel and the Quran at the same time?
- How did the Bible change?