Did the Prophet talk to women and ask them how they were?
- Did the Prophet Muhammad Mustafa (pbuh) talk to believing non-mahram women in his ummah and outside his ummah and ask them how they were?
- Did the Prophet (pbuh) answer the women when they addressed him like "Good morning, hello, how are you?" Did he answer the questions of women?
Submitted by on Mon, 05/10/2020 - 15:43
Dear Brother / Sister,
- There is a verse of the Quran showing that the Prophet (pbuh) talked to the women outside his wives:
“Allah has indeed heard (and accepted) the statement of the woman who pleads with thee concerning her husband and carries her complaint (in prayer) to Allah: and Allah (always) hears the arguments between both sides among you: for Allah hears and sees (all things).” (al-Mujadala, 58/1)
This issue is seen clearly in the verse above.
-The following is stated in the Quran:
“…Be not too complacent of speech, lest one in whose heart is a disease should be moved with desire: but speak ye a speech (that is) just.” (al-Ahzab, 33/32)
The verse warns that when a woman has to talk to a non-mahram man, she needs to talk seriously, solemnly and shyly.
- There is information showing that the Prophet (pbuh) greeted women and answered their greetings.
Asma bint Yazid narrates:
“The Messenger of Allah (pbuh) stopped by some women (I was among them) and greeted us.” (see Abu Dawud, Sunnah,148; Tirmidhi, Istidhan, 9; Ibn Majah, Adab,14)
Abu Talib’s daughter Umm Hani greeted the Prophet (pbuh), who heard her but did not know who she was because he could not see her; the Prophet (pbuh) answered her greeting and asked who she was. Then, he said, “O Umm Hani! Welcome!” (Bukhari, Ghusl 21; Salah 4; Muslim, Hayd, 70-71, Salatul-Musafirin 81-82; Tirmidhi, Istidhan 34)
According to what is understood from the practices of the Prophet (pbuh) and the Companions, it is permissible for men and women to greet each other and talk if it is necessary unless there is a risk of mischief and misunderstanding. (Ibn Abidin, Raddul-Muhtar, I, 406; Zakariya al-Ansari, Asnal-Matalib, I, 176)
Questions on Islam
- Is it necessary for relatives and family friends to sit separately (men and women in separate places/rooms)? How should a man act when one of his adult sisters-in-law stays in his house for the night?
- Is it not contrary to the universality of the Quran that the wives of the Prophet are mentioned in the chapter of al-Ahzab?
- Can women ask men private questions in order to learn?
- How can we avoid Looking at Harams? What is the Sin of Watching Haram things?
- What is the sin of watching haram (forbidden) things? Will you give detailed information about looking at haram?
- Will everybody be the same in Paradise? Will there be degrees of beauty?
- is husband allowed to beat his wife?
- Is it religiously permissible for a woman to wear a gold bracelet or a gold name bracelet?
- Aisha bint Abi Bakr (r.anha)
- Is it right for women who are dressed according to Islamic rules to wear their headscarves covering their shoulders?