Did our Prophet (pbuh) ever pray (perform salat) without covering his head or wearing a cap or turban?
Submitted by on Wed, 18/03/2009 - 10:58
Dear Brother / Sister,
Wearing a cap (one worn by Muslims especially in prayers) is a sunnah (the practice of Prophet Muhammad, pbuh). It is makrooh (religiously abominable) to perform prayers (salat) without wearing caps, deeming it troublesome to carry a cap or not considering it important. However, it is a sunnah to keep one's head covered during prayer (salat). Besides, some scholars have regarded it as good to pick the cap which falls during prostration to the ground and to put it back on the head, without performing much action (for instance, with one hand). It is not makrooh not to cover the head because of a valid excuse. In addition, there are those who say that there is no harm in not covering the head with the intention of humility and deep reverence for Allah. It is also sunnah to wrap a turban over the cap in prayers. The Prophet said: “The prayer which is performed with turban is 70 times more meritorious than the prayer performed without turban.” (Taj). According to some scholars, in place of turban, a cap may be used to cover the head.
The Prophet wore lined or unlined caps. Those made in Damascus would be white and without lining (Abu Shayh, p. 118). Ibn-i Umar informed that in campaigns the Prophet wore cap with projecting parts over ears (Ali al-Kârî, I, 204.).
Questions on Islam
- Why do Ahle hadith people do not offer snunnat salat?
- Is there any hadith of Our Prophet (pbuh) stating that mosques should not be decorated and it should be simple?
- Should mosques be decorated or not?
- Is witr salat Wajip?
- How must be the way of dressing of a Muslim woman?
- is there a kursi(chair) for God. some people say that god is sitting on his kursi by taking the reference of aaitul kursi.
- Is it Sunnah to wear a Turban while praying, Is it obligatory for Muslims to wear Turbans and skullcaps? What did prophet Muhammad (PBUH) say about wearing a turban while praying?
- What is the religious decree for performing prayers with a turban on the head?
- Makruhs of prayer
- Could you please give information about Daily Prayer (Salah)?