Did any Christians in Abyssinia become Muslims thanks to the Muslims who migrated to Abyssinia?
Submitted by on Tue, 10/01/2017 - 10:54
Dear Brother / Sister,
The lifting of the boycott allowed our Holy Prophet (PBUH) and his Companions room to breathe. During this time, many were converting to Islam in succession.
There were 20 Christians among those inclined towards Islam. Upon what they heard from the Muslims that migrated to Abyssinia, they came to Makkah to research about the Prophet and Islam.
They met with our Holy Prophet (PBUH) by the Kaaba and asked him many questions. They were very happy upon receiving the perfect answers.
Much later, our Holy Prophet (PBUH) invited them to testify to the Oneness of Allah and recited the Quran. Their hearts were overwhelmed with love in the face of the Quran’s magnificence. In the midst of their tears, all twenty of them converted to Islam at once.
The polytheists were immensely angry at this situation. While they were trying to thwart the idol worshippers from becoming Muslims, here, the Christians had come by their own will and were converting to Islam.
With Abu Jahl at the forefront, a group of polytheists blocked their way and after insulting them in numerous ways they said,
“May God curse you! You came here to learn what this man says; you have consorted with and are following him! This is just downright stupid.”
However, the fortunate ones, who had been honored through their conversion to Islam, did not pay any attention to the polytheists’ insults and answered them with a tactful reply,
“We will not treat you in the ignorant manner in which you treat us.”
Verses 51-55 in Surah Qasas refer to these honorable individuals. 1
1. Ibn Hisham, Sirah, V. 2, p. 32.
Questions on Islam
- How did the Muslims who migrated to Abyssinia return?
- Migration to Abyssinia
- When and with how many people did the second group migrate to Abyssinia?
- What did the Qurayshi polytheists do in order to be able to take back the Muslims who migrated to Abyssinia? How did the king of Abyssinia answer this demand of the polytheists'?
- The Spread of Islam and the Divine Warning to the Prophet
- What are the examples of dialogue during the time of our Prophet (PBUH) and his tolerance towards the followers of other religions?
- Suhayl bin Amr (r.a.)
- Medina and its People
- Second Caravan of Muslims Migrate to Abyssinia
- The Prophet Calls the Tribes to Islam