Could you describe the statement “Order your family and community to establish the Prayer” ( the Qur’an, Ta-Ha, 20:132)?
Submitted by on Wed, 30/06/2010 - 17:38
Dear Brother / Sister,
The order in this verse is clear. Giving this order to His Prophet, the guide for all humanity, Allah, the Almighty, pointed out what an important way of worshipping the Prayer is. This surah was revealed in Makkah and it refers to the period when the Prayer was set as an obligatory duty for the believers. In other words, the Prophet was ordered to teach his family how and in which times to perform the Prayer. Moreover, In Madinah, our Prophet (peace be upon him) went to Ali’s (may Allah be pleased with him) and Fatima’s (may Allah be pleased with her) houses to wake them up so that they would perform the morning prayer. ( ar-Razi, the interpretation of the related verse)
Besides, the words “ family and community” in the verse have led to such interpretations whether these words refer to the Prophet’s ( peace be upon him) relatives or his ummah. (ibid)
According to Imam Mawardi, the words “family / community” in the verse refer to the Prophet’s own family or his ummah – which is a sort of family to him. And the second order “ be diligent in its observance” (the Qur’an, Ta-Ha, 20:132) in the same verse can be interpreted as “ Continue to invite your family and community to the Prayer and continue to perform your own Prayer”. ( Mawardi, the interpretation of the related verse)
Umar (may Allah be pleased with him) used to wake his family members up to Prayer, obeying this order. After reciting the mentioned verse, Urwa, son of Zubayr used to say to his wife “ let us perform our Prayer”. (Al-Qurtubi, the interpretation of the related verse)
As stated in the beginning, this order is a lesson to all humanity, for which Prophet Muhammad ( peace be upon him) stands as an example, and an emphasis as well on the importance of the Prayer. It does not mean oppression but a reminder, an advice and telling why the Prayer is important and useful, maintaining its continuality and if necessary teaching and rendering it as a habit because there is no point in praying by force or intimidation. Such a prayer would be performed not for the sake of Allah but for the person who forces and intimidates. Especially the head of the family – the parents must be good examples for the issue of praying and it is necessary that they perform their prayers without a delay. As a matter of fact, the second order in the verse has a meaning aiming it.
Questions on Islam
- The duration of suhur (a meal taken before fajr in the month of Ramadan) and the time of the morning prayer
- The duration of Suhur and the time of the Morning Prayer
- The following is stated in verse 5 of the chapter of at-Tawba: "…slay the pagans wherever ye find them…" Will you explain this verse?
- What are the qualities of those who enter the garden of Firdaws? (The Highest Gardens of the Paradise)
- What does this verse from the Qur’an mean: “ He who kills a soul unless it be (in legal punishment) for murder or for causing disorder and corruption on the earth will be as if he had killed all humankind. ”
- The Prayers
- is husband allowed to beat his wife?
- What is the decree on loving sayyids and sharifs?
- Is Azar, Hz. Ibrahim's father? Was Hz. Ibrahim's father a Muslim?
- Will you give information about establishing regular prayers (being steadfast in prayer)?