Can you give some information about listening to Surah Al-Kahf on Friday?
Submitted by on Wed, 21/01/2009 - 09:01
Dear Brother / Sister,
There is a great reward for reading the Surah (chapter of the Holy Qur'an) of The Cave (al-Kahf) on Friday or other days; however, reading it on Friday has more rewards.
Woman at the state of menses and childbed cannot touch or read the Quran but she can listen to the Qur’an. In addition, she could recite Surahs such as Fatiha (The Opening Chapter), Nas (Humankind), and Falaq (The Daybreak) with the intention of supplication.
There are some Hadiths (saying of the Prophet Muhammad) expressing that reading the Surah of The Cave on Friday night and day has many rewards.
For example: “He who reads the Surah of The Cave On Friday night, is brightened up with a light from the ground to the heaven in Doomsday. His minor sins, which are committed between two Fridays, are forgiven.” (For different narrations, please see at-Targhib wa't-Tarhib, Kitabu'l-Juma, 1/512-513)
Two of the other Hadiths about the Surah of The Cave are as follows:
“Usayd b. Hudayr, companion of the Prophet, recited the Surah of The Cave (in his prayer), and in the house; he had a horse. Just then, the horse got frightened and started jumping. So, Usayd prayed as “O Lord! Protect me from the disaster”. Immediately, a mist or a cloud hovered over him. Then, Usayd informed the Prophet Muhammad of that incident and The Apostle and Prophet of God said “O so-and-so! Recite, for this (mist or cloud) was a sign of peace descending for the recitation of Quran”. (Bukhârî, Manâqib, 25; Bukhârî, Fadâilu'l-Qur'ân, 11; Tirmizi, Fadâilu'l-Qur'an, 6).
The Prophet Muhammad said the following: “If anyone learns by heart the first ( in another narration “ the last”) ten verses of the Surah of The Cave, he will be protected from the Dajjal.” (Muslim, Musâfirûn, 257; Abu Dâwud, Manâhim, 14; Tirmizi, Fitan, 59; Ibn Majah, Fitan, 33).
Yet, we need to be careful at some points during the assessing of those narrations which are for encouraging people.
Questions on Islam
- Can you give some information about Dhul-Qarnayn mentioned in Surah of Al-Kahf?
- Will you give information about the virtue of reciting surah al-Kahf on Friday?
- Did Ashab al-Kahf (the people of the Cave) / Seven Sleepers and our Prophet live at the same time period? Did they know about each other?
- Are the people mentioned in the Quran as Ashab ar-Raqim three young people?
- Usayd bin Khudayr (r.a.)
- What offers did the polytheists make in order to make the Prophet (pbuh) abandon his cause?
- Friday Prayer
- Will you give information about Hz. Khidr?
- How should we understand the expression that Ashab al-Kahf (People of the Cave) stayed in their cave three hundred years and added nine more years?
- Migration to Abyssinia