Can an epidemic disease like plague and coronavirus not enter Madinah?
According to a hadith in Sahih Bukhari, plague and Dajjal cannot enter Madinah. It is said that Madinah is protected by angels.
Will you evaluate this hadith along with Covid19, that is, coronavirus epidemic, which concerns the world today?
Submitted by on Thu, 09/04/2020 - 11:02
Dear Brother / Sister,
Two hadith narrations regarding the issue are as follows:
“There are angels guarding the entrances (or roads) of Madinah; neither plague nor Dajjal will be able to enter it.” (Bukhari, Fadailul-Madinah 9; Muslim, Hacc 485, 486)
“There will be no town which Dajjal (Antichrist) will not enter except Makkah and Madinah, and there will be no entrance to Makkah and Madinah but the angels will be standing in rows guarding it against him. Then, Madinah will shake with its inhabitants thrice (i.e. three earthquakes will take place) and Allah will expel all the non-believers and the hypocrites from it.” (Bukhari, Fadailul-Madinah 9; Muslim, Fitan 123)
- We can understand the issue of Dajjal not entering Makkah and Madinah from the following statement:
“One part of the answer given by Old Said to the question asked by a spiritual assembly discussing about the future of the Islamic world in a true dream mentioned in Sünuhat Booklet printed twenty years ago has become manifest now. The assembly asked at that time:
"What is the wisdom behind the defeat of the Islamic state in this war, in which Germany was defeated?"
Old Said gave the following answer: If we had been victorious, we would have sacrificed many holy things for the sake of civilization. - As a matter of fact, they were sacrificed seven years later. - The regime established in Anatolia would have spread and been established in the Islamic World too, especially in the holy places like Makkah and Madinah, easily and by force. Qadar decreed our defeat for the protection of those places with divine help.” (Nursi, Kastamonu Lahikası, 19)
- Plague’s not entering may be an expression related to the period of Dajjal. That is, neither Dajjal nor plague will enter Madinah in the period of Dajjal mischief.
- Besides, the coronavirus disease existing today is different from plague.
It should not be forgotten that no interpretation contrary to the expressions of the verses of the Quran and sound hadiths can and should be made.
Questions on Islam
- Are those who die of Coronavirus regarded as martyrs?
- Are health workers who die of an epidemic like Coronavirus regarded as martyrs?
- What did the companions do at times of quarantine?
- At the time of an epidemic disease, is it a sin not to perform Friday prayer?
- Who is Mahdi? How can we know about Mahdi?
- What Will Mahdi Do?
- How should we evaluate the comments made about the issue of the Mahdi?
- Is there a belief of Dajjal (the false messiah) in other religions?
- Can you give information about Dajjal? What are the characteristics of Dajjal?
- Is it qadar to remain in quarantine?