"And indeed We will make them taste of the Penalty of this (life) prior to the supreme Penalty, in order that they may (repent and) return." (as-Sajda, 32/21) Will you explain the verse above?
Submitted by on Mon, 08/10/2018 - 11:26
Dear Brother / Sister,
"And indeed We will make them taste of the Penalty of this (life) prior to the supreme Penalty, in order that they may (repent and) return." (as-Sajda, 32/21)
The phrase "adhab al-adna" mentioned in the verse is penalty in this world and "adhab al-akbar" is penalty in the hereafter.
Since it is stated that those who indulge in the sin of denial would definitely be made taste the penalty of this life and that this aimed to give them an opportunity to return from the wrong way they follow, it can be said that what is meant by that expression is those people’s being exposed to material and spiritual problems and depressions that will enable them to do heart-searching in this world. This meaning is supported in the verse that follows since it is stated there that a person who insists on his bigoted attitude though he has been given such opportunities will have reached the peak in injustice and that he will definitely have deserved punishment. (see Diyanet Tefsiri, Kur’an Yolu, the interpretation of the verse in question)
Divine mercy being manifest in favor of man and His endless grace exist in such warnings. As the saying goes, «A good scare is worth more to a man than good advice.»
Questions on Islam
- Would you explain the verse, “And indeed We will make them taste of the Penalty of this (life) prior to the supreme Penalty in order that they may (repent and) return.” (Surah As-Sajda 32/21)
- Surah 32. As-Sajda (The Prostration, Worship, Adoration)
- Are Paradise and Hell Eternal? What are the Evidences?
- Surah 37. As-Saffat (Those Who Set The Ranks, Drawn Up In Ranks)
- Life in the Grave is True
- How does Jibril, the angel of revelation, come at once if it takes a long time to ascend to Allah?
- Why does the phrase ‘Fire that feels pain’ exist in the verse though fire does not feel pain?
- Why is Hell eternal for unbelievers?
- Allah is free from space/place; however, it is claimed based on some verses that Allah is in the heavens. How will you explain it?
- Does to cry with the fear of Allah mean to cry by shedding tears or to feel sad in the heart?