“What does “every lahw (entertainment) except three is wrong” mean?
Submitted by on Tue, 25/01/2022 - 16:32
Dear Brother / Sister,
- The hadith regarding the issue is as follows:
“All of the entertainments of the world are useless; however, these three are exceptions: A person’s shooting (with war tools such as arrows and spears), training his horse, and playing and having fun with his spouse.” (Majmauz-Zawaid, 5/269).
- In another narration, this number is mentioned as four with the addition of swimming. (ibid)
- What is meant by the hadith is that a person should not waste his life in vain and on useless games and entertainments. They are wrong, i.e., useless things; even if they are not haram, they are useless things that show heedlessness. As a matter of fact, the following is stated in another hadith:
“A person’s not dealing with unnecessary things that do not concern him is an indication that he is a good Muslim.” (at-Targhib wat-Tarhib, IV/319)
- All of the exceptions serve a certain reality. Shooting arrows, riding horses, swimming; all of them are things you will need in life. That they are used in wars to defend the homeland in particular increases their value even more.
They include many benefits such as having fun with one’s spouse and ensuring the peace of shared life and family.
Questions on Islam
- According to the hadith “All of the games (entertainments) except three games are haram for a Muslim; those three things are a person’s having fun with his spouse, training his horse and shooting arrows”, are all other games haram?
- What is the advice of the Prophet (pbuh) about swimming, archery, horse riding, etc.?
- What does Entertainment Mean? What are the things that should be taken into consideration while having fun?
- What does entertainment mean? What should be considered in games and entertainment?
- Will you give information about football and its objectionable aspects? How does the religion Islam view sport games such as football, basketball etc.?
- Is it permissible for women to do sports in places where men are present?
- On Board Games
- What are the hadiths and views of Islamic scholars about listening to musical instruments?
- "By Allah! If you knew what I know, you would laugh little and you would cry much; you would not taste the pleasures of your women in the beds, and you would go out beseeching Allah." Will you explain this hadith?
- Could you please give information about Hunting in Islam?