“Allah will throw back their mockery on them and give them rope in their trespasses; so they will wander like blind ones (to and fro).” (Al-Baqara, 2/15) According to this verse, why does Allah let Hypocrites go too far?
Submitted by on Thu, 09/06/2011 - 17:30
Dear Brother / Sister,
The meaning of the related verse is as follows:
When they meet those who believe, they say: "We believe" but when they are alone with their evil ones they say: "We are really with you we; (were) only jesting.
Allah will throw back their mockery on them and give them rope in their trespasses; so they will wander like blind ones (to and fro).” (Al-Baqara, 2/14-15)
The word in the verse which has the meaning of “giving them rope in their trespasses” is given as “yamuddu”. The word “Yamuddu” means “granting a delay for them”. That can be interpreted as “Allah does not punish on short notice in this world life, gives them a chance, and if they demand forgiveness, He accepts their excuses.” The saying, “Allah gives chance but He does not neglect.” emphasizes this truth. That is, He grants a delay for some time in the world but He shall question him/her in the hereafter.
The aim of Allah’s mocking is repaying the Hypocrites’ mocking. Here we come across with the art of Mushakala: This figure consists of using a word twice con-secutively, once in a lexicalal, and once in a figurative sense. For example a mother menaces her child who laughs in a gleeful way by saying “Laugh now, I will laugh at you too later on!” Here, the mum’s laugh will be completely different.
A person who seems a Muslim although he does not believe in his is heart called a hypocrite. Such people are treated like real Muslims in the Muslim society. So;
1. The tolerance and patience of Islam is followed.
2. An opportunity is given in order to raise real Muslims from their generations.
3. Forcing the Hypocrites to perform divine obligations that they do not believe in their hearts and leaving them in torture and causing them to suffer in this world because of their foolishnesses. (See the interpretation of the related verse Elmalılı Hamdi, Hak Dini)
This should not be forgotten; if unknown, an enemy is more harmful; and if he is elusive, he is more pernicious; and if he is mendacious, he causes more corruption; and if he is on the inside, he is more injurious. For an internal enemy saps one’s strength and crumbles one’s forces, contrarily to external enemies, for they strengthen resolve and solidarity. Alas! The harm dissembling has caused Islam is truly immense. It is the cause of the present confusion. For this reason the Qur’an frequently condemns it.
Some of the related verses are as follows:
Let not those grieve thee who rush headlong into unbelief: not the least harm will they do to Allah: Allah's plan is that He will give them no portion in the Hereafter, but a severe punishment.
Those who purchase unbelief at the price of faith,― not the least harm will they do to Allah, but they will have a grievous punishment.
Let not the Unbelievers think that our respite to them is good for themselves: We grant them respite that they may grow in their iniquity: but they will have a shameful punishment. (Surah Aal-e-Imran, 3/176-178)
Questions on Islam
- Question 58: English physicist Stephen Hawking says, “Modern physics leaves no place for God in the creation of the universe.”Is there really no place for God in the universe?
- 2. Surah Al-Baqara (1- 60)
- Surah 2. Al-Baqara (The Cow)
- Surah 83. Al-Mutaffifin (Defrauding, The Cheats, Cheating)
- How should one answer a person who hurts his feelings among other people and who demoralizes him?
- “Let them laugh a little: much will they weep: a recompense for the (evil) that they do.” (Surah At-Taubah 9/82) Who are the people mentioned in this verse? Muslims or Unbelievers?
- What is the advice of our religion on issues like laughing, smiling and laughter? Are there any manners of laughing?
- Surah 9. At-Tawba (Repentance, Dispensation)
- Why do jinn and satan not believe though they know that they will be punished?
- Who is a Hypocrite? How should the jihad be done against the Hypocrites?