Why Perform Prayers?
A child in the womb of his mother has a mouth, eyes, ears, hands and feet. All of his organs and equipments are bestowed completely. However, none of them is needed in that womb. The baby is fed by means of a funiculus him to his mother.
Now if that child said:
O my Lord! This funiculus is enough for me. There is no need for this mouth, these eyes, ears, hands and feet. They do not serve any purpose.,
Doubtless, he would be replied by Allah as follows:
Do not rush my servant and do not interfere with what you do not comprehend. After a short while, you are going to enter such a world that this hose which you define as everything for me is going to fit nothing and so it is going to be cut off. The mouth, eyes, ears and similar organs which you consider as useless are going to be the most important equipments for you.
If that child did not believe those truths and came into this world as a denier and saw that the midwife cut off his funiculus and threw it into the trash box and realized that the mouth, eyes and similar organs, which he assumed to be useless, started to function and that he could not exist without them, would that child be ashamed or not; would he feel very sorry because he did not believe what Allah said or not?
Currently, we are in the womb of a mother just like that child and are going to enter another world in 9 months, 9 years or in 90 years. The name of that world is the Hereafter. Now, we are connected to our world mother with material hoses and with our stomachs.
If we said:
O our Lord! We spend our lives well. What is the use of Prayers, fasting, pilgrimage, zakat (alms), religion, belief and Islam?,
We would definitely be replied by our Sustainer as follows:
O my servants! You are going to leave this world in a short while. You are going to be taken to such a world that these material hoses which you define as everything for us is going to fit nothing. Prayers like worship, alms (zakat) and pilgrimage which you consider as useless are going to be the most important assets for you. People are not going to be respected in accordance with their cars, money or properties but with their hearts, deeds and prayers.
That is to say, your performed prayers, zakats, fasting, prayers, pilgrimage, good deeds will be everything for you in the Hereafter. They are going to become hands, feet, tongues, lips, villas, pools, bonds and patents, planes, limitless wealth, felicity and briefly, they will become Paradise.
If we behaved arrogantly, spoiled on account of being in the age of science and technology, did not affirm the truths which our Lord commanded by the tongue of wisdom and then went to Hereafter as being worshipless lazy people or deniers and if we witnessed the truth as our Lord informed before, would we not become ashamed? Verily, would we not feel embarrassed like that child, who considered the mouth as useless in his mothers womb when we witnessed our funiculi which we regarded as everything; that is to say, our cars, apartments, money and assets had no importance; contrarily, prayers meant everything in that world?
Would we not feel very sorry? Would we not say If only we had believed, performed our prayers, fasted, given religious taxes completely, lived for the sake of Allah, spent our lives on the path of that unique glorious Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessing be upon him)?
Come to your senses before that day on which you would feel deeply sorry
(Why Perform Prayers, Vehbi Karakaş, p, 70-72)
- Ar-Rahim (The All Compassionate)
- Can there be a logical explanation related to the existence of the hereafter? Will you evaluate the possibilities for the existence or non-existence of a life after this worldly life?
- How should a child be trained and religiously educated? How should we teach Allah to children?
- Have I been subjected to the test of envying houris?
- What are the things that are necessary to pay attention while making dua (saying prayers)? One of my relatives said we should ask anything from our Lord unless it is haram. Do you think it is true? Is it permissible to make dua like that?
- Can a woman perform the duty of Hajj or Umrah without a mahram?
- How shall we tell our children about Allah?
- Muhammad (peace be on him)
- Prophet Zakariyya [Zacharias] & Yahya [John] (Peace be upon them)
- Is it true that the Prophet was transferred into His mother’s womb on the night of Raghaib?