What does Satans eating and drinking mean?
It is mentioned that Satan eats and drinks in the Quranic verses and in Hadiths. Invisible creations, which are made from fire, do not dine as humans, which are created from clay indeed. We cannot know the truth of what they dine on. Nevertheless, there should be some kind of food that they dine on and feeling of taste. For instance, as angels are fond of beautiful fragrances, Jinn are fond of stinky ones.
What does Satan dine on?
Satan eats, drinks, and reproduces through sexual intercourse just like humans. That is to say, yet alongside his evil features, he has humane features too.
Jabir bin 'Abdullah reported God's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: When a person enters his house and mentions the name of God at the time of entering it and while eating the food, Satan says (addressing himself: You have no place to spend the night and no evening meal; but when he enters without mentioning the name of God, the Satan says: You have found a place to spend the night, and when he does not mention the name of God while eating food, he (the Satan) says: You have found a place to spend the night and evening meal. This hadith has been narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Abdullah through the same chain of transmitters but with a slight variation of wording. (Sahih Muslim, Book 23, Number 5006)
Mentioning the name of God when entering the house, while eating the food keeps Satan away from the house and the dining table is defined in the Hadiths. It is announced that eating without mentioning the name of God would cause to dine with Satan and scantiness.
How does he eat or drink?
In some of the Hadiths, it is reported that Satan eats with his left hand. For this reason, Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) ordered us to eat with our right hands, mentioning the name of God, forbids to eat and to drink with left hand. The following hadiths are about eating:
Ibn Omar reported God's Messenger (peace be upon him) as saying: When any one of you intends to eat (meal), he should eat with his right hand. and when he (intends) to drink he should drink with his right hand, for the Satan eats with his left hand and drinks with his left hand. (Sahih Muslim, Book 23, Number 5008)
Omar bin Abu Salama reported: I (had the opportunity) one day to dine with Gods Messenger (peace be upon him), and I picked up flesh from around the dish. Thereupon God's Messenger (peace be upon him) said: Eat from that which is near to you. (Sahih Muslim, Book 23, Number 5013)
- wudu hanafi
- Does the wudu of a person who sleeps without moving while sitting invalidate?
- Hanafi wudu
- If I get dental veneers or dental crowns, Will my Ghusl (ablution) be valid? Do I need to take them off?
- Could you please give information about the subject of "Excuse" in Islam? In which conditions do we become (mazur) excused about the religious services?
- How is the prostration of Quran recitation (sajdah at-tilawah) performed when a verse of prostration (sajdah) is read? Is it permissible to delay this prostration?
- Why is the name of the madhhab called Hanafi (the name of the daughter of the founder) though his real name of the iamam of the madhhab is Imam al-Azam?
- Qada (Missed) Prayers
- Hanafi wudu
- hanafi wudu