What does Jihad-strife with wealth, which reads in the Quran mean? How should it be done?
There is a financial dimension of Jihad- struggle in Gods cause. Both armed conflict and cultural war requires serious amount of expenditures. In some Quranic verses, Jihad with wealth is ordered. For instance, and strive with your wealth and persons in Gods cause. (At-Taubah Surah, 9:41)
(Just retaliation, as well as war or other defensive measures to maintain your existence, are not possible without expense. So) spend in Gods cause (out of whatever you have) and do not ruin yourselves by your own hands (by refraining from spending. Whatever you do,) do it in the best way in the awareness that God sees it. Surely God loves those who are devoted to doing good, aware that God is seeing them. (Al Baqarah Surah, 2:195) There is a great danger of not spending in Gods cause, because in that way the army of Islam would cease power and it is going to be impossible to fight back against the enemy. (1)
While disbelievers are economically mobilizing to spread their fallacious cases, Muslims not making sacrifices for their rightful action –Islam is of course not an appropriate thing to do. God induces believers to spend for His cause with this verse: What is the matter with you that you do not spend in Gods cause, when Gods is the inheritance of the heavens and the earth. Not equal among you are those who spend before the victory comes and fight (for Gods sake, and those who do not): they are greater in rank than those who spend after the victory comes and fight later. However to all God has promised what is the best (Paradise). God is fully aware of all that you do. (Al-Hadid Surah, 57:10)
First of all, God alone is the possessor of all property. These worldly possessions are just entrusted upon us.
Besides, spending and fighting prior to and after a war of conquest are not equal before God. It is indeed more virtuous to give in difficult times.
Bediuzzaman makes important findings about Jihad with wealth, by saying, Every believer is responsible with the duty of announcing the sublime state, and the precious truths of Islam. And the most important due of this time is advancing materially. (2) Muslims should be materially advanced to spread the truths of Islam. The Struggle over broadcasting, publishing books, establishing schools and dormitories for future generations necessitates ample financial means. Prophet Muhammads (pbuh) following hadith is a great encouragement for believers, Whoever supplies the needs of a Jihadist, he is considered as if he fought himself
Jihad with wealth can be called as economic war in todays expression. Muslim countries are not effective in this economic war. Even though many Muslim countries are rich in sources such as Oil reserves, this richness does not reflect on economic strength. By leaving the necessary studies to the economist, we believe that each Muslim has to think about these below listed basics:
1. And that human has only that for which he labors (An-Najm Surah, 53:39) principle should be taught to everyone. If necessary attention is given to the verse, it mentions human not believer. Whoever labors, he/she will receive the recompense for his/her labor, no matter what he/she believes.
2. The upper (i.e. giving) hand is better than the lower (i.e. taking) hand (4) Muslim countries should not see taking aid from non-Muslim countries as a success, on the contrary they should reach up to the level of giving aid to them.
3. God has made lawful to you) eat and drink, but do not be wasteful (by over-eating or consuming in unnecessary ways): indeed, He does not love the wasteful. (Al-Araf Surah, 7:31) It should apply to everyone and to every field from an individual to a society, from a municipality to a state.
4. The believers are brothers (Al-Hujuraat Surah, 49:10) this verse provides a powerful starting point to produce strong economic ties among Muslim countries. Islamic Union should be established as Europeans once has established EU.
5. Do not, then, be faint of heart, nor grieve, for you are always the superior side if you are (true) believers. (Al-Imran Surah, 3:139) The meaning of the verse should be taught to our people through educational institutions and media. Thus, inferiority complex of our society can be got rid of and self-regard and the effort of being superior can be raised. History consciousness should be given to the society, Muslim countries superior past must be well known by the masses. In fact, the material advantage of West is not more than two hundred years.
1-İbnu Kesir, I, 333; Beydavi, I, 109
2-Nursi, Divan-ı Harb-i Örfi, s., 64.
3-Sahih Bukhari, Jihad, 38; İbnu Maja, Jihad, 3
4-Sahih Bukhari, Vasaya, 9; Sahih Müslim, Zakat, 94-97; Tirmidhi, Zakat, 38
- Some claim that Jihad is coercing into Islam. What is Jihad? How should it be done?
- Do concepts Jihad and War mean the same? If not, what are their differences?
- What are the principles and rules, which Muslims have to abide when war is inevitable?
- How could peace be ensured among Muslims? What can be done for it?
- What is the purpose of Jihad?
- kashmir conflicting
- What is the decree of Jihad?
- Some claim that Jihad is only a matter of war. Can you inform us about Jihad in the light of Quranic verses and Hadiths?
- Is Jihad only a matter of war? Can you inform us about Jihad in the light of Quranic verses and Hadiths?
- What are the laws of war, which have been framed by Holy Quran?