The Sixth: A comparison made between the time of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and nowadays in terms of truth and falsehood.
THE SIXTH: Since the great interpreters of the law among the righteous early generations of Islam lived close to the time of the Companions of the Prophet, the age of light and age of truth, they were able to receive a pure light and make pure interpretations. But the interpreters of the law at this time look at the book of reality from behind so many veils and from such a long distance that they can see even its clearest letters only with difficulty.
If you say: The Companions also were human beings and not free of error and differences, while the means of interpretation of the law and the ordinances of the Shari‘a is the justice and truthfulness of the Companions, on which the Islamic community have agreed, saying: “All the Companions were just and all spoke the truth.”
The Answer: Yes, the absolute majority of the Companions of the Prophet were lovers of the truth, truthfulness, and justice. For in that age, the ugliness of lies and falsehood was shown in all its ugliness and the beauty of right and truthfulness was shown in all its beauty in such a way that the distance between them stretched from the ground to the Divine Throne. There was a clear separation between them, from the depths of Musaylima the Liar at the lowest of the low to the degree of truthfulness of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him) at the highest of the high. Indeed, just as it was lying that brought Musaylima to the lowest of the low, so it was truthfulness and right which raised Muhammad the Trustworthy to the highest of the high.
Thus, the Companions, who held elevated sentiments and worshipped good morals and were illuminated with the light of the conversation of the Sun of Prophethood, did not stretch out their hands to the buffoonery and filth of the lying in Musaylima’s shop, which was so ugly and the cause of descent, and they shrank from unbelief. So too they shrank from lying, the companion of unbelief, and sought as far as they were able -especially in relating the ordinances of the Shari‘a and propagating them- truth, truthfulness, and right, which are so fine and the cause of pride and glory, ascent and progress, and were the thing most in demand from the elevated treasury of the Glory of Messengership, and which illuminate man’s social life with their beauteous splendour; the Companions acted in conformity with them and were desirous of them; this is certain, definite, and necessary. Whereas at this time, the distance between truth and lying has become so narrow that they are now quite simply shoulder to shoulder. It is extremely easy to pass from truthfulness to lying. Lying is even preferred to truthfulness due to the propaganda of politics and diplomacy. And so, if the most ugly and the finest things are sold in the same shop for the same price, certainly the jewel of truthfulness and right, which is most elevated and penetrates to the essence of reality, will not be obtained blindly, relying on the word and skill of the shopkeeper.
Please click on the following link to continue reading;
- How can the religion brought to us by the Companions be reliable since they committed sins?
- The Second Reason: The distance between the truth and falsehood during the time of companion and the truthfulness of the Companions. The freshness and effect of the revolution that Islam established during the time of the Companions.
- The Fifth: What are “earthly” and “heavenly” ijtihads? Three reasons that make interpretation of the Law of today earthly.
- The Third: Some bad habits of our time which are in the degree of addiction affect the manner of their approach to the certain prohibitions of religion.
- Gleams: Flowers from the Seeds of Reality. A short ‘Mathnawi’ and collection on the subject of belief for the Risale-i Nur students.
- Conclusion: The reason for the existence of different schools. Can truth be more than one?
- “I guarantee a house in Paradise for a man who avoids quarrelling even if he were in the right, who avoids lying even if he were joking, and...” According to the hadith above, will there be people who will wrong others in Paradise?
- What are the characteristics of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in Holy Books?
- The Eleventh Letter offers a spiritual drug against the delusion of Satan by interpreting the verse "feeble indeed is the cunning of Satan". (an-Nisa: 76)
- Nineteenth Sign: Hz. Muhammad's (pbuh) veracity and its indication of oneness.