Seventh: Said Nursi’s answer to those who ask him, “Your former refutations and strivings in the way of Islam were not in your present style. Also you do not defend Islam against Europe in the manner of the philosophers and thinkers...
That is, the Third Question. They say: “Your former refutations and strivings in the way of Islam were not in your present style. Also you do not defend Islam against Europe in the manner of the philosophers and thinkers. Why have you changed the style of the Old Said? Why do you not act in the same way as those who strive for the cause of Islam by non-physical means?
T h e A n s w e r : The Old Said and certain thinkers in part accepted the principles of human and European philosophy, and contested them with their own weapons; they accepted them to a degree. They submitted unshakeably to some of their principles in the form of the physical sciences, and therefore could not demonstrate the true worth of Islam. It was quite simply as though they were grafting Islam with the branches of philosophy, the roots of which they supposed to be very deep; as though strengthening it. But since this method produced few victories and it reduced Islam’s worth to a degree, I gave up that way. And I showed in fact that Islam’s principles are so profound that the deepest principles of philosophy cannot reach them; indeed, they remain superficial beside them. The Thirtieth Word, Twenty-Fourth Letter, and Twenty-Ninth Word have demonstrated this truth with proofs. In the former way, philosophy was supposed to be profound and the matters of Islam, external; it was supposed that by binding it with the branches of philosophy, Islam would be preserved and made to endure. As if the principles of philosophy could in any way reach the matters of Islam!
Glory be unto You! We have no knowledge save that which you have taught us; indeed, You are All-Knowing, All-Wise!1
And they shall say: “Praise be to Allah, Who has guided us to this [felicity]; never could we have found guidance, had it not been for the guidance of Allah; indeed, it was the truth that the prophets of our Sustainer brought to us!”2
O Allah! Grant blessings to our master Muhammad and to the Family of our master Muhammad, as you granted blessings to our master Abraham and to the Family of Abraham, in all the worlds; indeed, You are worthy of all praise, exalted!
1. Qur’an, 2:32.
2. Qur’an, 7:43.
- The Biggest and Eternal Miracle is the Qur'an
- The view of the Quran and philosophy on life
- Quran is always fresh and young
- How true is the statement “Allah does not know the future; if He knows, He will be compelling”?
- HOW CAN DIVINE DESTINY AND HUMAN FREE WILL BE RECONCILED?
- The debate between Badiuzzaman Said Nursi and the Devil
- Prophet Isa [Jesus] (Peace be upon him)
- How can we Strengthen our Belief? Will you give information about the Increase and Decrease of Belief, Tahqiq (Investigative) and Taqlid (Imitative) Belief and the Importance of Belief?
- Prophet Sulayman [Solomon] (Peace be upon him)
- Can you give information about the hijra (Migration) that Our Prophet (pbuh) made?