It is said that there is no compulsion in religion. Is not Jihad some kind of a compulsion?
Jihad, on the other hand, is for to prevent compulsions of the infidels and their tyrannical oppressions on the individuals’ liberty of thoughts, which they have practically established as their principles of morality. Islam with its firm and unchangeable rule enabled individuals to express their thoughts and wills; declared Jihad to any attempt and to any group, which tried oppressing people. Some opponents (non-conformists) claim that some verses of Quran related with Jihad in order to be functioning causes a kind of a compulsion.
However, reality has nothing to do with the above claim. Jihad, on the other hand, is for to prevent compulsions of the infidels and their tyrannical oppressions on the individuals liberty of thoughts, which they have practically established as their principles of morality. Islam with its firm and unchangeable rule enabled individuals to express their thoughts and wills; declared Jihad to any attempt and to any group, which tried oppressing people. The one and only reality, which could be predicated on this matter is, The shackled wills abrogated by the Islams Jihad command. The balance of earth on behalf of thought has been established with the Jihad command. (1)
If it had not been at all, would Syrian Christians, in the face of danger of their countries possibly taken back by Rome, be packed in churches and invoked for the victory of Muslims? Again, would it have been possible for Muslims to establish Islamic states, which sprout in vast geographies that one could reach one end to another in six months.
Islam Jihadists, with the command of Jihad while conveying peace and welfare to all corners of the world, treated the people of the conquered countries as they were from the same origin racially and religiously. Their attitudes towards people, made possible all the gates of hearts open to them as the gates of forts open. They evaluated science and art accumulations of those civilizations, let leading scholars in their fields to work freely, and made possible those people to serve humanity. They were always honored in the Islamic society. (3)
1. Bedaiu's-Sanai, 7/246; eş-Şerhü'l-Kebir, 9/398, 399
2. Mevlana Şibli, İslam Tarihi, 7/153
- The character of Muhammed pbuh and his attitudes
- Some claim that Jihad is coercing into Islam. What is Jihad? How should it be done?
- Gleams: Flowers from the Seeds of Reality. A short ‘Mathnawi’ and collection on the subject of belief for the Risale-i Nur students.
- Seeds of Reality are aphorisms from the booklet called Seeds of Reality, which was first published in 1920.
- What does Jihad Mean? What are Types of Jihad?
- What does Quran mention about the preparations of war?
- How can we answer the criticisms by non-Muslims related to the concepts of jihad (holy war) and fath (conquering)?
- What is the Jihad (Holy War) Mentality of Badiuzzaman who is one of the Scholars of This Age?
- “...He who strives against them with his heart is a believer and beyond that there is no faith even to the extent of a mustard seed.” Will you explain this hadith and the issue of enjoining what is good and forbidding what is evil?
- "If they say, summarize the Bible, I will say, 'love'. If they say, summarize the Quran, I will say, 'love in Makkan verses, grudge, hatred, enmity, killing, war and sword in Madinan verses'." Will you inform me about the issue?