Could you explain the belief-righteous deed relation?
Knowledge is good (beneficial). However, what better is to put that knowledge into practice and effectuate it in life. The phrase, those who believe and do good, righteous deeds, those are the companions of Paradise; they will abide therein (1) which is mentioned in Quran in many places deserves consideration. In these verses, it is pointed out the importance of enriching the belief with righteous deeds. Belief is a claim; deeds are the proofs of it. Belief, not provided with righteous deeds is like a tree that bears no fruit.
How meaningful is this divine ascertainment about Jews! The parable of those entrusted to carry the Torah, who subsequently does not carry it out in practice, is that of a donkey carrying a load of books. (Al-Jumuah Surah, 5:62) As the donkey carrying a load of valuable books does not gain a value, people who do not transform their knowledge into righteous deeds would not save themselves from unnecessary burden of knowledge. Quran reminds this to us with these verses:
Do you enjoin upon people godliness and virtue but forget your own selves, (even) while you recite the Book (and see therein the orders, prohibitions, exhortations, and warnings)? Will you not understand and come to your senses? (Al-Baqarah Surah, 2:44)
O you who believe! Why do you say what you do not do (as well as what you will not do)? (As-Saff Surah, 61:2)
The words of those, who do not put them into practice, have no effect as fake bullets. What makes words effective is application.
One of the most disturbing symptoms of societys distress has been the incapability of transforming the theoretical knowledge into practice. Knowledge- based society of the future will be built by the ones who put their knowledge into practice.
1. Al- Baqarah Surah, 2: 25, 82, 277; An-Nisa Surah, 4:57; Hud Surah, 11:23; Al-Kahf Surah, 18:2..
- Can't Qur'an be the words of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)? If not, how can it be proven?
- THE LABORATORY OF THE UNIVERSE AS A METAPHOR
- SCIENCE, RELIGION AND BELIEF SYSTEMS
- INTRODUCTION / EPISTEMOLOGY OF BELIEF
- What benefits does the belief in Resurrection have for the life of this world?
- STUDIES IN THE FIELD OF PSYCHIATRY AND RELIGION
- What should we do so as not to lose our belief?
- What are the causes that lead man to deception?