Could Islam, the Old Testament and the New Testament have been affected by Sumerians?
In fact, that some news and nice things that are present in a nation or culture are also present in one of the true religions does not show that that religion was affected by that culture; on the contrary, it shows that its source was also revelation. During the course of time, its relation to the revelation was forgotten and it was regarded as the culture of that nation because Allah sent hundreds of thousands of prophets to the humanity. The first man is also the first prophet. That some news that is stated by religions is also present in a culture shows that it originates from revelation. However, revelation was forgotten in the course of time and it was thought to belong to a culture or person.
That Hazrat Musa (Moses) (pbuh) was left in a basket is mentioned in verses. If the life story of Hazrat Musa (pbuh) is read, it will be seen clearly. Many prophets lived in the Middle East; therefore, some glad tiding elements belonging to divine religions might exist in the Sumerian culture. It means some prophets that lived before Musa (pbuh) gave glad tidings that he would come. As a matter of fact, glad tidings about our Prophet (pbuh) are present in the holy books sent before him.
Some faithless people use scriptures like that in order to refute religions. However, the Quran tells us that no nation was left without a prophet, warner or guide. The similar scenes in the history of the world confirm this news of the Quran.
It is known that The Arabs of Jahiliyya Period had many elements of Hanif religion of Hazrat Ibrahim (Abraham) remaining from thousands of years ago. The existence of the Kaaba, Arabs regarding it as holy and circumambulating it, their similar rituals make it impossible to say that they were imported from other religions; the existence of the laws that fit human honor or the existence of the historical scriptures about the historical stories are evidence for the religion, but they are the historical phenomena reversed by the materialists and the atheists that use the materials of Dajjal.
If some stories like the one about Hazrat Ayyub (Job) (pbuh) – if they are true – were narrated in the periods before he lived, they might be glad tidings about him or they might have the following meaning:
There might be many people who experienced great tests like Hazrat Ayyub in history. The determinations of the Quran aim to give examples of those universal events and present the lives of patient heroes that lived and that will live as living examples so that people will draw lessons.
To sum up, the events that the Quran mentions and the characters in those events are definitely historic events. However, there may be some other events similar to them.
- Why there are conflicts between religions although they believe in the same Allah?
- What are the wisdoms behind the stories of Prophets?
- What are the Wisdoms Behind the Stories of Prophets?
- It is said that some scientific and historical facts that are mentioned in the Qur'an, coming from various cultures and nations of the world. How can you clarify this?
- How was Belief in the Hereafter Observed in Various Communities throughout History?
- What is Religion?
- How would you answer the claims that the incidents like the Deluge of Noah (Nuh) and the Red Sea being split into two are mentioned in the Sumerian, Babylonian and Egyptian resources and that they were copied from those resources?
- What are the criteria for social intercourse with non-Muslims? Is it permissible to be business partners with them?
- How did the Bible change?
- "If they say, summarize the Bible, I will say, 'love'. If they say, summarize the Quran, I will say, 'love in Makkan verses, grudge, hatred, enmity, killing, war and sword in Madinan verses'." Will you inform me about the issue?