Will you information about the manners of drinking water and drinking water while standing?
Submitted by on Tue, 05/04/2016 - 19:52
Dear Brother / Sister,
While drinking water, it is better to turn toward the qiblah, sit down, say basmala and hold the glass with the right hand. One should act moderately while drinking water like other things; he should not drink too much; he should avoid drinking very cold and very hot water.
The Prophet (pbuh) sometimes drank water while standing, showing that it was not a sin to drink water like that. Thus, he showed the permissibility of drinking water while standing.
When all of the narrations regarding the issue are taken into consideration, it can be said that it is permissible to drink water while standing but it is better to drink while sitting.
Ibn Abbas states the following:
"I gave the Prophet (pbuh) zamzam water. He drank it while standing." (Bukhari, Hajj 76, Ashriba 76; Muslim, Ashriba 117-119)
Hz. Ali drank water while standing. Then, he said,
"I saw the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) drink water like you have seen me drinking water." (Bukhari, Ashriba 16)
Ibn Umar states the following:
"When the Messenger of Allah was alive, we would eat while drinking and drink water while standing." (Tirmidhi, Ashriba 12, see also Ibn Majah, At`ima 25)
Abdullah Ibn Amr states the following:
"I saw the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) drink water while sitting too." (Tirmidhi, Ashriba 12. see also Nasai, Sahw 100)
According to a narration of Anas, the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) prohibited a person from drinking water while standing. The narrator, Qatada, says, "We asked Anas, 'What about eating while standing?' Anas said, "Eating while standing is worse." (Muslim, Ashriba 113. see also Tirmidhi, Ashriba 11)
The statement "the Messenger of Allah prohibited from drinking water while standing" is expressed as follows in another narration of Muslim: “forbade from drinking water while standing.” (Muslim, Ashriba 112, 114)
According to what was narrated from Abu Hurayra, the Messenger of Allah stated the following:
“None of you should drink water while standing. If you do, you should vomit.” (Muslim, Ashriba 116)
When the hadiths for and against drinking water while standing are taken into consideration, it is understood that the narrations about the Prophet (pbuh) drinking water while standing are more than the ones prohibiting drinking water while standing.
It is understood that Imam Bukhari concluded that it was permissible to drink water while standing as Kamil Miras states (Tajrid Translation, XII/53).
It means the Prophet (pbuh) sometimes drank water while standing, showing that it was not forbidden; maybe he did not want it to become a habit because it was not healthy. He spoke against drinking water while standing in order to state that it is more appropriate to drink water while sitting, to encourage people to do so and to show more clearly that he prefers it.
The threat of the Prophet (pbuh) “If you drink water while standing, you should vomit” is not an order. Some scholars hold the view that the sentence “If you drink water while standing, you should vomit” was uttered by Abu Hurayra, not the Messenger of Allah.
In conclusion, we can state the following: When it is necessary to drink something outside and when there is no seat to sit, it is not necessary to look for a place to sit; however, it should not be forgotten that drinking water while sitting is healthier.
1. The Prophet and some Companions that saw him drank water while standing. Therefore, it is not a sin to drink water while standing.
2. That the Prophet (pbuh) prohibited drinking water while standing shows that he finds it more appropriate to drink water while sitting.
3. That the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said a person who drank water while standing should vomit does not mean that he wanted it to be done definitely. For, the Prophet sometimes used this style to educate Muslims.
Questions on Islam
- What are the benefits of Zamzam, how should it be drunk? How was Zamzam water found? What are the advantages and benefits of it? Is it necessary to drink it while standing? Cannot we drink it while sitting?
- Does drinking water in one breath cause hepatitis?
- Will you give information about drinking water in three breaths?
- Is there a hadith meaning ‘Cold water was made lovable to me’?
- What was the eating method and sitting style of the Prophet like?
- The Principles of Prayer
- DOING NAMAZ BY SITTING ON CHAIR ALLOWED?
- Is it permissible to perform prayers by sitting on a chair? Do people perform prayers on chairs because it is easier?
- Does praying before eating a meal exist in our religion? Did the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) pray before eating a meal?
- How can a person who cannot move his feet and stand on his feet make taharah and wudu, and perform prayers?