The Quran mentions the hand of Allah. Does it show that Allah has hands?
Submitted by on Wed, 05/05/2010 - 07:09
Dear Brother / Sister,
Salafi (the first three generations of pious Muslims) scholars did not comment on the ambiguous (mutashabih) Quranic verses. When misunderstandings about those verses emerged in time, ambiguous verses were explained. The view of the Ahl as-Sunnah scholars is that Allah is free from time and place.
The following is stated in the tenth verse of the chapter al-Fath, “the Hand of Allah is over their hands.” The mind decides that Allah, who is the creator of all of the material and spiritual realms, is free from having a hand. However, it is reported in the Quran that He has a hand. Here, the mind and the naql (texts) contradict. Then, it is necessary to accept the mind as a base and interpret the text.
The scholars of tafsir are divided into two groups regarding the interpretation of those kinds of ambiguous verses. The previous mufassirs called al-mutaqaddimin did not interpret the ambiguous verses and preferred keeping silent by saying, “Allah knows the best what is meant by them.” The scholars that came after them interpreted those verses acting upon the rule: “when the mind and the text contradict, the mind is given the priority and the text is interpreted”; they said what was meant by “hand” is “power”. It is an interpretation, and mufassirs are authorized to make such interpretations.
Besides, it is impossible that Allah, who does not resemble anything, who is free from incomplete attributes and the expressions that express incompleteness, who can be defined with all kinds of perfect attributes and qualities that express perfection, superiority and competence, has a hand like the hands of human beings. Therefore, Allah does not have a hand; however, it will be better to understand the hand as “the strength and power of Allah” figuratively.
Questions on Islam
- What is the wisdom behind the mutashabih verses in the Quran?
- How should it be understood that the Quran was sent down clearly? Is it possible for everybody to read the translation of the Quran and practice it?
- What are the qualities of those who enter the garden of Firdaws? (The Highest Gardens of the Paradise)
- Why are hadiths about the time during the end of the world not understood clearly?
- Will you answer the claims related to the Quran, the Gospel and Islamic contradictions?
- Will you give information about the reason why the chapter of al-Ikhlas was sent down and its interpretation?
- Are there any verses related to the incoherence of the view of evolutionism?
- Life in the Grave is True
- Could you explain the Quranic verse Verily We shall give life to the dead, and We record that which they send before and that which they leave behind, and of all things have We taken account in a clear Book (of evidence). (Ya Seen, 36:12)
- How should we answer those who say the issue "seas not merging with each other" is contrary to science?