Is it sin to dislike dishes cooked for us and to be picky about dishes?
Submitted by on Fri, 31/01/2014 - 10:16
Dear Brother / Sister,
It is not sin to like some dishes better than others or not to eat some dishes. However, it is not appropriate to disdain or speak ill of any food or dish.
The Prophet (pbuh) did not ever disdain any food or dish that he disliked publicly and also prohibited others disdain. He emphasized that it is necessary that people behave respectful to other people’s choices and prevented foods from being wasted away by saying “Leave what you dislike. Do not make it haram for others.”
What the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) looked for in a dish or food primarily was halal-ness and cleanliness and whether it was beneficial to body or not. He never had the habit of being picky about food and disdaining them.
Abu Huraira says:
“The Prophet never criticized any food. He would eat food given to him if he was hungry or leave it if he was not. Especially, when he was guest in someone’s house, he would compliment the host about the food offered and express that he liked the food offered a lot.”
Questions on Islam
- Is it sin to dislike dishes cooked for us and to be picky about dishes?
- All about High Ethics
- Is it true that eating between times of asr (afternoon) and maghrib (evening) is forbidden? What are the appropriate manners for eating? Could you explain?
- First Topic: It emphasizes the importance of brotherhood and love among Muslims. It explains with a persuasive style how damaging rancor and enmity are from the point of view of both Islam and social, individual and spiritual life.
- The Miracles Concerning the Increase in Food and Drink
- Seventh Sign: It explains the miracles of the Prophet (pbuh) about effecting increase in food through sixteen examples.
- What should our style of speech be like? What are the appropriate manners for speaking? What about the appropriate manners for listening?
- what are wifes duties towards husband and vice versa?
- Does praying before eating a meal exist in our religion? Did the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) pray before eating a meal?
- What is the sunnah of the Prophet (PBUH) regarding eating?