Is it permissible to wear gemstone rings in Islam?
Submitted by on Tue, 09/03/2010 - 22:54
Dear Brother / Sister,
As narrated by Hazrat Anas, Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) had a silver gemstone ring and its stone was Abyssinian gem. (Muslim, Libas, 61). Some scholars said the stone was cornelian. As its mine was in Abyssinia, it was named so. (see Nawawi, explanation of the related hadith).
In some narrations, cornelian was clearly stated and that the phrase “the gemstone of the ring was cornelian” was used (see Nawawi, explanation of the related hadith).
It is unobjectionable for both men and women to wear gemstone rings set with gems such as cornelian, emerald, ruby and chrysolite. It is stated that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) wore a gemstone set with an Abyssinian gemstone. On the other hand, it is expressed that it is makrooh (abominable) for men to wear gemstone rings with more than one stone. (al-Hawi lil-Fatawi, 1/115-116; Fatawi-i Hindiyya, 5/335).
It is permissible to wear rings on both hands. Rings can be worn on the little finger or the finger next to it. They are the appropriate ones. Nevertheless, it is not a sin to wear rings on other fingers, either.
Questions on Islam
- It is permissible for a male person to perform prayers wearing jeans (shorts) that cover his knees; that prayer is valid?
- How to clip nails according to the sunnah? What is the appropriate way of clipping nails?
- Could you please give information about the subject of "Excuse" in Islam? In which conditions do we become (mazur) excused about the religious services?
- Is the wudu (ablution) of women invalidated because of the natural leakage? Is it appropriate for a woman to imitate another madhhab (sect)?
- Is the ghusl of a person who covers his/her teeth only for decoration and show-off without any purpose of treatment valid?
- Can a person appoint a proxy for worships like daily prayers (salah), fasting, zakat (almsgiving) and Hajj?
- Is the marriage valid which is performed secretly from parents?
- Is it permissible to work in a place where alcoholic drinks are served and sold?
- Is it permissible for a man to stay alone in a place with his wife's sister or his brother's wife?
- Is it prohibited to sell alcohol while fasting?