Is it permissible to go to receptions where haram deeds are committed (wedding receptions where alcohol is served)?
When the hadith, "it is sunnah to go to a place where you are invited" is considered in terms of the wedding receptions, dinners and ceremonies today, how should a Muslim act; should he go to such a reception, dinner or ceremony?
Submitted by on Thu, 15/12/2016 - 16:40
Dear Brother / Sister,
When a person accepts an invitation, goes to a wedding reception and sees that a sin like drinking alcohol is committed there, it will be a sin for him to stay there if alcohol is drunk at the table that he sits; it is a sin for an Islamic scholar or a righteous person who is regarded as a model for Muslims to stay there.
If there is no alcoholic drink at the table a Muslim sits and if he is not regarded as a model for Muslims it is permissible for him to stay there (1).
According to Shafiis, it is definitely haram and not permissible to stay there for a Muslim if an illegitimate deed is committed there (2).
If there is no illegitimate deed at the wedding dinner or reception, it sunnah to go there when a person is invited according to Hanafis (3), it is wajib according to Shafiis if a person has no excuse (4).
1. al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, V/343.
2. Ianatu'l-Talibin, 3/361.
3. al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, V/343.
4. Ianatu'l-Talibin, III/358.
(see Halil GÜNENÇ, Günümüz Meselelerine Fetvalar, II/242)
Questions on Islam
- Is it permissible to accept the invitation and to go to the places where haram deeds are committed (like a wedding reception where alcoholic drinks are served)?
- What are the hadiths and views of Islamic scholars about listening to musical instruments?
- Will you give information about arranging time?
- What does fard al-kifayah mean? Will you explain it? Is working and learning ilm (knowledge/science) fard al-kifayah?
- What does spiritual cleaning mean? Will you explain it through examples?
- What is Dabbatu’l Ard? Has it emerged? Can the Illness of Aids be Dabba?
- We do not buy Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola thinking that the money we give is used by the Israeli army against Muslims. What will the degree of our responsibility be if we buy them?
- Will Jesus Christ descend again upon earth before the Doom breaks out?
- Will Jesus Christ descend again upon earth before Doomsday strikes?
- What Will Mahdi Do?