I yawn a lot when I perform a prayer and say prayers (dua); it prevents me from reading. What is the reason for it?
Submitted by on Fri, 17/11/2017 - 09:44
Dear Brother / Sister,
To yawn means to give and take a long breath when the mouth opens involuntarily and spontaneously due to sleepiness, tiredness or boredom. It is similar to a state of absent mindedness and heedlessness. It is not something that fits a Muslim. Therefore, the Prophet (pbuh) states the following regarding the issue:
"Allah likes it when a person sneezes but not when he yawns. If a person sneezes and says "Alhamdulillah", a Muslim who hears it should say "yarhamukallah". Yawning is of evil. Therefore, someone who feels like yawning should prevent it as much as he can. For, when one of you yawns, Satan laughs at him." (Bukhari, Adab, 165, 166; Muslim, Zuhd, 54; Tirmidhi, Adab, 1, 4; Nasai, Janaiz, 52).
What is meant by Satan’s laughing is the state of heedlessness and tiredness of the yawning person, which is liked by Satan. Besides, any bad thing that happens to a believer pleases Satan and makes him laugh. A believer should move, wash his hands and face, make wudu and relax if he is tired when he feels like yawning so as not to please Satan. If he cannot prevent yawning, he should cover his mouth with his hand or something else.
(see Şamil İ.A.)
Questions on Islam
- People say that yawning during a prayer is a delusion of Satan; is it true?
- How is it necessary to address a person who sneezes? Is it permissible to express one’s good wishes orally?
- Adab (Manners of prayer)
- What are the rights of a Muslim over other Muslims?
- What are the traps (tricks) of Satan?
- What is Delusion (waswasa)? Could You Inform Us of its Reasons?
- Is it Sunnah to eat a meal before going to bed?
- How should we take refuge in Allah from the wickedness of jinn?
- Will you give information about manners of sleeping? Will you give information about manners of lying face down and sleeping? Is lying face down a deed that was forbidden by the Sunnah?
- How our Prophet (Pbuh) slept at night and What should we do when we go to bed at night?